Monday, July 19, 2021

❤️

July is National Bereaved Parents Awareness Month.


There is no word or name for a parent that has lost a child.  We are not widows or widows.  This profound loss is even at a loss for a name.


I have been so thoughtfully and lovingly supported in my grief by family and friends that I want to share some thoughts and personal insights.  My hope is that it may help someone who finds themselves trying to support a grieving parent.  


First of all....there are no ‘right’ words, a child is forever gone.   A hug and “I’m sorry” is best.  I remember family and friends just sitting with me-and that quiet support was enough.  The generous food offerings helped ease that worry and were of great comfort.  Send a card.  I loved all the cards and have read them over and over.


After a bit, it helped to hear others tell of their favorite memories.  It soothes our souls and keeps our loved one alive.  Don’t be afraid to share a cool story-we love it!


Stay in touch but don’t be offended if the person requires some time and space.  Don’t avoid us when we need you the most.  It takes a long while to figure out our new ‘normal.’  We will be back-just in a new way.  


To all grieving parents-Jill and Jeff, Paul and Jackie, Joe and Shari, Laurel, Jen, Michelle, Stacey, Susan P., Vicky W., and all and anyone I may have overlooked-my sincere support.  


XOXO



No comments: