Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Rebel Rebel…


 I’ve been called a rebel all of my life.  Not in some civil disobedience kind of way, but more as a personal way of life.  If my Dad were here today, he’d surely corroborate!  Much to his chagrin, I was the defender of everything he was not.  I spouted naive half-truths and interrupted his logic with my sassy mouth and always had to have the last word.  (Sassy was also my nickname.)  I fought hard for equality and women's rights and would have burned my bra if only I had one on.  I pushed dress codes and curfews just because I could.  I took all dares and expressed my opinions whether you were interested or not.  I love a good debate.  But…so….does that make me a rebel? Well, these days with my adult tact in place, I like to imagine myself as aware, strong willed and free spirited-and not nearly as sassy.  


I’ve learned the lessons I was trying to be taught.  Shut up and listen.  Think before you speak, or sass.  Walk a mile in another’s shoes.  Be compassionate and considerate.  Don’t take things so seriously-or personally.  Do the best you can.  I’m still an old school rebel and I always will be.  


How am I doin’, Dad?  I’ll let you have the last word.   Signed:your sassy rebel.   XO




No comments: