Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Only a Shadow...


 


 I have never been a 'joiner.'  Other than the gym, I cannot seem to commit to a club or organization or even a class-long term.  I remember in High School loving to ski with the group once a week all winter, BUT I just couldn't get on the bus and join the others.  What if I didn't feel like it that week?  Who do I have to excuse to?  So, I forfeited the group discount and drove myself to the hill and met up with the gang.  My timing, my control.  And if I didn't feel like conditions weren't good enough for me to doll up and go, I could stay home and sip my hot chocolate.


I once took a tile making class put on by Pewabic Pottery.  I have long admired their work and was very excited to learn how to make tiles.  BUT...every Thursday afternoon, I would get a sick feeling in my stomach and dread going.  The ridiculous thing about it is, that I loved doing it-just hated the 8 week commitment.  


I also joined Families Against Narcotics a few years ago.  I stated right up front that although I loved the work they were doing, I wasn't sure I could commit to all the meetings.  I did for a few years, but now I am way happier in the background, doing things on my own time table.   So much more comfortable for me.


When I mentioned this feeling  to my therapist, she informed me that my fear of commitment is actually a bit of anxiety.  What??  Fear of going to do the things that I love.  Now that's screwed up!


So my big news is that I've joined a book club. Online!  How perfectly perfect!  All the fun without the commitment. No tummy aches as I click on whenever I'm ready. Thank you Allison, for the push I needed.


Now if I could just follow through and commit to those white strips!  (baby steps, baby steps!)  XOXO

No comments: