Thursday, April 3, 2008

Take a bow...


My girl has done it, and I am finally posting her props. A keys vacation with a wireless snafu has set me back a little. But I digress. What girl? Madonna! Did what? Made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Finally. For me, it's about time. And not just for a music Hall of Fame, THE Hall of Fame. Period. I know, many will argue that she is not "rock and roll" enough, but the term is very loosely defined. I understand that as long as you've been an influence on the music world, then you are eligible for induction. Not since my white Nancy Sinatra go go boots did I ever completely identify with someone so much. The "Nancy" phase was ill timed because my mom (no vision!) would not allow me, at 8 years old, to frost and tease my hair, wear white lipstick and just forget about heavy eyeliner!!! But in 1985 I had the hair, bod and rubber bracelets to totally embrace the Madonna scene. I saw her first concert in Detroit, and yes, I wore the garb, and joined in like so many lemmings to see her live performance. We were totally knocked out-and cemented in as fans for life. Not really by her vocal talent, but her intense stage presence. She sang (I know), and danced her ass off. Her dad was an onstage guest, and we all joined in to sing happy birthday to him. As she morphed and re-invented herself, I avidly followed her every move. Never again in style did I mock her though. The cone bra and dominatrix outfits just would not bode well in northern Michigan, except for at Halloween. Living vicariously however, did provide for hours of daydreaming. It was a total balm that helped soften the edges on the borders of a small town. Being a single parent pretty much kept me grounded. Good thing, probably. Years ago, as a joke I sent this list off to a friend, after seeing Madonna in her Drowned World concert where I was taken back to 1985 and just how much I have identified with her. Watch for the list on Letterman's Top 10! Definite proof that Madonna and Jodi are twins separated at birth! Here is the "proof" positive....


  1. We are almost EXACTLY the same age...

  2. Small town Michigan girls are we ....

  3. Both of us are eldest daughters and have taken ballet (i sucked!)

  4. Popcorn is our favorite food and I've just discovered a mutual fondness for Cadbury Creme Eggs!

  5. We are both good Catholic girls--dispite Her foray into Kabbalism

  6. Both of us a blonde--just not at the roots!

  7. We both have gay fans!

  8. We both are dedicated yogis

  9. Our "daughters" both are named Lola...

  10. She married Guy Ritchie and I married a Ritchie Guy! teehee (both on second rounds, too!)

    There you have it. All neat and tidy, just like Letterman does it. Sorta. Don't you concur? She gave a voice to so many things I would have like to have said and things I would have liked to do. Anyhoo, that's my shout out. I knew you could do it and I knew it all along. Through all of her foibles, I still love the chance to champion her. So, take a bow girl, we have earned it. xoxo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

material girl, like a virgin, like a prayer and so on. So many great songs. Great Job Madonna.

Erik Donald France said...

Oorah to Michigan's finest!

And to another one of my faves who also made it to the Hall of Fame, Debbie Harry & Blondie. Honorary Michigander ;)

p.s. An old friend claims she (Madonna) donated a gold-plated drinking foutain to Adams High School.

Anonymous said...

Hair, bod and vocal talent. All or any of the above is Hall of Fame stuff 2 me!

The Canyon St War