Monday, October 14, 2013

Only the Good Die Young...

My friend of 40 years is gone.  Warren passed away suddenly and has left us all with the huge task of moving on in a world without him.  We are from the same small town and our relationship was rich with common friends and old stories.  The hole in my heart is large and very jagged, and he pops up in my thoughts constantly.  I hope by writing this, I can get on with some healing.

Warren was a one of a kind-a free spirit in every way-living life on his terms.  Warren took chances and did things that most of us just dream about.  He rode his motorcycle with the wind in his hair and was never afraid to explore new places and meet new people.  And once you met him, you would never forget him.  His blue eyes and slow smile lit up every room he ever walked into.  You had to lean in to hear his soft voice, but it was always worth it.  An old soul and a modern day hippie, Warren was famous for saying, "right on". 

You could count on him for anything-just ask my brother, his long time best friend.  He was a man of simple needs and great talent.  He could build a house from the bottom up and everything in between.  He was known for his hugs-he'd bend down and I would get on tiptoe to make up the difference in our heights.  Warren used to say that he was 'freakishly tall'.  And he was!  Back in the day, he could talk me into dancing non stop for hours. 

  He was a founding member of our annual "Sloth, Indulgence and Debauchery Tour" for the past 12 years while on vacation in the Keys.  Memories of our antics will have to sustain us this year, as we somehow carry on without him.  He could crack my back better than any chiro ever has!!  Warren was a lover of all things in nature.  As kids we hung out at the beach,  picked wild strawberries and mushrooms, and snuck alcohol.  Warren was an amazing chef and could whip up the best pancakes and shrimp fettuccine alfredo ever.  He cooked simply and with love, and when he cooked, I would gladly clean up. He spoiled us all with his yummy delights.

He knew the words to every song you can imagine.  I'll never again hear the song, 'Cripple Creek' without remembering me and Warren, half tuned up, belting it out.  It was one of the many little traditions we had that made our friendship special.

  I'll look for him around every corner of Key West and smile as He lives on in the stars and warm breeze.   I'll toast his memory with love.

Till we meet again, good friend.  Right on.   xo



5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm very sorry to hear that. We have so few good ones as is.

Erik Donald France said...

Jodi, also sorry for your loss. Wonderful tribute to clearly a dear friend, though. Right on for sure ~

Cheryl said...

I'm so sorry for your loss sissy. Having lost good friends suddenly before, I know about the hole it leaves in your life and in your heart. Time will ease the pain for sure and one good thing about death... it cannot erase the love in your heart or the memories you hold dear! Love you!

the walking man said...

It has been a good year for death so far. Be Well shrimpy.

jodi said...

Charles-you are right, and now we are short one of the best. Erik-He is irreplaceable for sure. Cheryl-My heart still hurts, but it's getting easier. xo Mark-I have learned so many life lessons from all of those I've lost. xo To all of you-thank you for your kind words. As always it helps so very much to have your love and support. xoxo