Monday, May 21, 2018

Fevers and Candies...

I've been to concerts, drag shows, and even strip clubs in my day, but I wasn't sure what to expect when we went to the Fillmore to see Dita Von Teese and her burlesque show.

I have seen the movie 'Burlesque'-the one that all women (and a few men) love.  It was a romantic love story with great music and flair.  But what would Dita do for a whole show?

What didn't Dita do?  (Say that 3 times fast!)  She, and her posse of performers, camped it up with fans, feathers, scarves and other props.  There was even a bathtub with running water on the stage. It was funny, sexy, witty and oh so campy.  The girls teased and amused us all.  I loved the costumes and music and the dude that emceed the whole show.  He was a show all by himself as he introduced the numbers and added snappy commentary.

I learned that burlesque is soooo much more than stripping, although pasties and G-strings were the end game outfits.  There were twirling tassels by the Best Twirler in the World!  It really was closer to a drag show with the same humor and flourish.  And predictably, Dita closed the show in her giant martini glass.  I loved every moment of the show and I would recommend anyone to go and be teased and entertained!

P.S.  As a side show, the people watching was supreme.  Girls and boys dressed up in all their 'Dita' looks.  Tight dresses, fishnets, and red, red lips were out and about seein' and bein' seen.  The streets of Detroit never disappoint!  And the Fillmore-what a totally old gorgeous venue.
Got a chance?  Go Go Go!

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

wow, I think I would have enjoyed that!

jodi said...

Charles, it truly was a class act! Have a great week 'short timer!'