Saturday, January 28, 2023

Let's Start Here...


 As kids, walking in the woods was an everyday event.  We pretended to be 'indians' and hunted stealthily for arrowheads.  We gathered food sources with mushrooms and wintergreen berries.  Contests were held to see who could find the first-and very elusive ladyslipper flowers.  We speared (illegally) suckers from the river and gave them to a local guy to smoke.  Needless to say, I loved walking in the woods-and I still do.


So when my cousinfriend asked me to go hiking in the woods with her, I was all in.  I love to walk and I love the woods, so lets' do the darn thing!  What a perfect way to move while catching up on all the familial gossip.


So dressing warmly, Dayna and I made out way to Bloomer Park.  Dayna is a very practiced hiker and even snowshoes the trails during winter.  As we began, you can't imagine my surprise (shock) when I discovered that the 'walk in the woods' was a true hike with hills, giant staircases and narrow trails.  I seriously underestimated this 'walk.'  Kids, we were HIKING!



Dayna expertly navigated all terrains, but me-not so much.  I slipped, lagged behind and desperately needed my forgotten inhaler.   But I persevered and loved every step of it.


 Thanks to Dayna for the full body workout including our jaws!  Can't wait to do it again-with my inhaler!

No comments: