Sunday, November 16, 2008

What's your name?......


What's in a name? As kids we liked to annoy my parents by singing that song where you add a name and do the banana, fanna, fo fanna thing. Usually sung at the top of our lungs from the backseat of the car. It was particularly fun to use the Chuck name with the great resulting rhyme. Woo Hoo! We got to swear! I've always wondered about the inspiration for names, and put a lot of thought into naming my son, Dane. I tried not to fall into the most popular name trendy name, but not be too "out there" either. Needless to say, he was the only Dane that year and probably most years at Alpena General Hospital. Still unique, but totally suiting him. Recently, there was a local bust involving a house of "ill play-zhure." The named pimp of the place was a man with the telling moniker of Donjuando. For real. What did that mom expect her son to grow up to be with that type of handle? Laydees beware! And I don't even need to address the celebs with their off-the-chart originality. Their reality is kind of skewed, but at least they have the dough to pay for the hours of therapy that the poor tot will probably be needing somewhere down the line. Better them than me, is all I can say. In my life I have found it curious that I am friends with a Patrick Fitzpatrick, Paul Paulsen, and a Thomas Thompson. I can only guess that their moms didn't want to use an excess of letters, making life just a little easier for them. So, this brings me to Halloween night, where I made the acquaintance of a real life "Jack Dick." There he stood dressed as the bloated, fat, white-jump suited Elvis. The hot bar provided the necessary sweat to make him glisten very realistically, and I couldn't resist telling him that maybe he should lay off the fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. He in good nature told me that would be no problem as long as the pills and booze kept comin'. He then introduced himself with his given name. My response was, "Trick or treat? Ha ha, that's funny." No dude, it's my real name. Seems "Dick" is a common name up north and unfortunately, Jack, is too. He shrugged it off and said it only holds shock value the first time. Hmmm.mmm. Isn't that true of most everything? I like names and their implications and have always attached a name to my cars and houses. I like the whimsy and personal identity and familiarity a name provides. The blog names we have chosen intrigue me and gives me a clue as to who we think we are. And the vanity plates around here are just crazy. When I visited Costa Rica, the ticos told me there was no such name as Jodi. They opted for "Julia", pronounced Whoo lee ah. Pretty exotic, huh. I saw on the Travel Channel, a south pacific island, (which one escapes me) that uses 7 core names, and they are based on your marital as well as social status. Yuck. Interesting, but not much room for creativity--which I hope never escapes me. I guess the moral of the story is you can say I can't sing the "banana fana" but you CAN'T say I don't know jack dick. xoxo P.S. Please let me know some of your more interesting name experiences! P.P.S.S One more day till the Madonna concert!!! xoxo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's go Red Vings!--Jiri Hudler

JR's Thumbprints said...

At work the inmates call me "Tom-Tom" -- as if I'm on the war path.

Here's an interesting name from my Disco Elementary School Days: a kid by the name of Harley Davison. No joke.

Anonymous said...

i had a friend named benjamin dover when i lived in texas, what was his mom thinking, ben dover. as names go, i had the first race at alp reg med ctr. now there are four bows named race...ours is the oldest. hope you had fun at the madonna concert. see you guys over the turkey holiday. p.s. love the picture, we need to go back there soon. keep in touch... steve

the walking man said...

What is in a name? Is there individuality concurred by a few words or is it rendered from experiences?

I have a name. I use it when I have to, but I also answer to many other names...asshole not being an unknown one.

jodi said...

WM, you are so right. It is our experiences and choices that create who we are--individual or not so much... Oh, and I highly doubt you are an A-Ho.--just an individual. xo

Me_Again said...

In my line of work (at present), I hear names all day. My favorites are--Pinky Ballwater...Peter Smallwood...Vickie Dickie...Ed Boegemann...Shiney Smiley...Phylis Bimbo...Gagendeep Patel.
I should write a book and use these names as the characters.
P.S. Thank you for commenting on my blog =-)