Monday, November 24, 2008

Yes, we have no bananas....


I read in the news that a school in New York was setting time aside for the children to "play". Physically and creatively. The old fashioned way, before computers, video games, and unlimited television. It seems that it has finally been noticed that the combination of these things plus shortened recesses and no mandatory gym class is having a bad effect on our kids. Ya think? Let's only hope it didn't take a gajillion dollar grant to research and discover the obvious. I have expressed a fear that upcoming generations would have very little physical prowess or creativity in say, 10 years. Seems all of our advancements and technological growth can be blamed for creating a generation of introverted, chubby, and socially retarded kids. Growing up, (I know--here we go again) in Ossineke, we had one t.v. and two channels. My dad would say, "Jodi, jump up and see whats on 4." Ten minutes later it would be, "Steve, run over and check whats on 7." And so the night would begin. The limited programming (and constantly changin' em) plus Dad's crummy t.v. taste would drive us on to a (gasp!) board game. That happened after we were all sweating from the effort of jumping and running to turn the dial. In addition to board games and cards, we would actually get paper and crayons and draw. I always had a book cookin' to turn to for escape and diversion. We had a small, neighborhood posse--all in similar situations with the telly, and we could count on 'em for bike riding, kick the can, red rover and all those hokey games that left you sweaty and physically challenged. We played outside constantly. This also fostered social skills involving sharing, respect and competitive spirit. We were lean and mean. My mom's monitoring of junk and fast food, soda and portions helped that cause. We had a log cabin playhouse (Dad built it) in our backyard that we played cowboys and Indians and Laura Ingalls Wilder scenarios, taking turns as to what the game would be. In school, recesses involved tether ball and jump rope. Gulping in the fresh air and stretching our legs running to our chosen event was as highly anticipated as lunch hour. And we actually went to the local library and the one at school. You got a library card--and explored books. I still adore the smell of books--both new and old and musty ones, too. It's no secret to anybody what a good book does for your imagination. That's why the books make into movies usually disappoint. But do kids even read anymore? Some do, I guess. When Dane got his first computer/and or video game, I insisted that he read a real book one hour for every two he held a mouse or joystick. He never minded and still is an avid reader today. We exchange books constantly and try to turn each other on to each others taste. It makes for some pretty interesting discourse. As kids, we were further abused by riding in the car WITHOUT WATCHING A MOVIE!! Again, I will trot out those old chestnuts like I Spy, The Licence Plate Game, and good old Slug Bug. Mom and Dad did not get any quiet time or breaks by letting us escape social interaction--not a headphone in sight. On those long drives to Detroit, they were forced to run crowd control and referee said games. Also remind my brother not to even THINK of touching me. Now this was "family time." We lived near a large gravel pit and spent hours excavating precious treasures. Like little Indians we scoured the Devils River banks for wildflowers and mushrooms. We snagged suckers. So are we better for it in our adult lives? I think so. At least our memories tell us so. Today, my sister owns and runs a fabulous restaurant, and is very involved in all it's creative processes as well as managing a large staff. My brother sells Fords and I don't think anyone would ever call him a sleazy used car salesman. He communicates very well and is able to speak to anyone. His interest in people is genuine and he works ethically. As for me, well, I muddle along trying to express myself in small ways. My blog, occasionally painting, interior design, and yoga. I've recently starting boxing and am the proud owner of 12 ounce, hot pink, boxing gloves. Old habits die hard. So, if nothing else, I hope our kids can find a way to create and stay healthy, or at least remember it that way. xo P.S. Happy Birthday, Mom xxoo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What timing!! I just spent a day subbing in gym class. So many overweight, unmotivated kids. It is hard to watch. BAck in the day, we made good use of the sidewalk chalk as kids, playing hopscotch and other games. We WALKED to the corner store and played many 3 day long games of scrabble and Monolopy. we had to create our own fun. It was still cool to spend time coloring and reading books. Family dinners were still the highlight of the day(and we ate on real plates not a bag or styrofoam). I hope I have done a good job with my kids. Traditional values are the minority today.

the walking man said...

While my memory is pretty good, down to minute details from over a decade ago, I seem to have intentionally blocked childhood play. I do remember that my father, an engineer, thought that PONG was one of the top ten inventions ever...that and television with remote control, at least he showed me the benefit of holding tightly to the remote.

One does realize what great exercise that is once you're fighting off a wife and three kids for control.

JR's Thumbprints said...

...and here I am ... thinking graphing calculators might help in teaching a bunch of convicts.

...and the Wii Fit will help me get back into shape ... that is, if I don't trip over the board and crack my head on the coffee table.

...and then there's my imaginary friends ...you know ...the one's floating around the blogosphere.

Regardless ... have a happy holiday and don't burn the turkey.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey gorgeous,

I could not agree more! It's very hard to see what used to come naturally having to be worked into the day -- we used to stay naturally active and now I pay to work out, make time for it and I see kids doing the same thing. Whatever happened to having time to do nothing and everything? It seems sad. Hope you're having an excellent holiday and rooting for Detroit, despite the odds! xo, m

Erik Donald France said...

Right on. My mother often turned me loose to play outside, which today would be preceived as scary (she armed me with enough wariness of weirdos that nothing bad ever happened besides breaking my arm climbing on construction equipment once) -- I'm independent as a result, plus I was allowed to watch tv during down times. And there was plenty of socializing, as well.

Less structure, more play!

Cheryl said...

Perfect timing for your blog Jodi. After spending yesterday with my brothers and their families, I was shocked to see just how lazy my 3 nephews and nieces are. None of them are doing good in school, none of them have jobs and the two oldest (18 and 17) are both failing school BUT expect Mommy and Daddy to buy them a car, pay their cell phone bill, etc. We certainly weren't raised that way nor did I raise my kids that way so I am totally shocked at the lack of parenting by my brothers. My parents must be rolling over in their graves to see this kind of parenting.