Sunday, March 7, 2010

I Gotta Feeling...


This past week I was invited to a very special day by a very special little girl. My friend Lexi asked me if I would be her "special person" at her school on Friday. You can imagine how thrilled and honored I was. After inquiring about time and dress code, I was told to just show up and not be a nerd. Well, I will try, I said. There were promises of arts and crafts and muffins, after all.

Arriving at Trinity Lutheran school, I was greeted warmly and given my 'special person' ribbon. A large assortment of coffee!, juices and muffins were available and delicious! Soon Lexi arrived and we went to her classroom. We recited the pledge of allegiance and prayed. I got to sit with her at her desk and watch the school's morning news program that was being broadcast. The kids were very cute and professional in their announcing duties. Lexi's teacher, Mrs. Brown, took some time to show us what the children were working on before we moved on to Jeopardy that we played on the big screen. Her report on the bengal tiger was very interesting and I was surprised at her perfect penmanship! It was really fun and Lexi got her question right, of course! We did an art project before touring the library and moving on to church for chapel.
The children did skits that portrayed how spoiled we all are while statistics on world poverty was broadcast on the big screens. There was a lovely song by the hand bell choir and the little children sang us a song. Little sister Elle sounded great! The morning ended with prayer.

I was very impressed by the behavior of the children and the obvious dedication of the teachers and the volunteers. I was touched by the loving nature and respect that I witnessed. What a breath of fresh air.

But most of all I just loved being "special". Thank you Lexi for giving me such a wonderful experience. And remember to always keep that joy, joy, joy, joy down in your heart! xoxo

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

That's cool. Sounds like it was definitely a day to remember!

Anonymous said...

Aww! That's so nice and Jodi, you definately are special!


Luv Kel

Erik Donald France said...

Jodi, very behind on comments -- will catch ya at the weekend !

rosegarden said...

Glad you had a wonderful experience. Those that choose to teach in a christian school usually are much more dedicated. You are special to all those who know you.

Erik Donald France said...

Tha is so adorable. What a great idea'

Mona said...

How sweet that is! I love the photo!

jodi said...

Charles, I loved it hope to be invited back! Anon/Kels-no, YOU are special! Erik, what's keepin' ya so busy? Rose-quit it-your makin' ME cry! Erik, it was the best! Mona, when Dane was young, I was a single Mom working two jobs and did not always get to attend these days. I missed so much, but am enjoying it now! xo