Sunday, February 28, 2010

Brass in Pocket...



Witness myself with Walking Man (Mark) and his 'Girls of Sunday Night'! My camera card seems to be failing me, so it's actually a pic of a pic! When I suggested that I be given an honorary membership in his harem, I was quickly corrected by both Michelle and Katherine, that in fact, HE was THEIR bitch! Semitics girls--let's just get the pic!

The evening at The Beat Cafe where Michelle and Katherine hosted an open mic/spoken word event was a hit. Detroit roads, The Olympics, and the Detroit Tattoo Convention threatened to possibly divert attendance, but turned out to not be the case. All tables were full and ready to read or listen. Or in the case of Katherine's sister, sing! Check SpellingI, of course, am a total listener and appreciator of this raw and beautiful talent. I was flattered that the girls even THOUGHT I would participate! It takes incredible guts to take the stage and hang out your heart for all of us to ponder. There were beautiful poems as well as prose--all spoken from the heart. The a cappella song was touching and sweet. We were even treated to Mark reading from his book, "Stink" with offers to autograph all sold copies--for a price!! That was after he offered to sell the book for whatever you could pay. He has a rich, and engaging presence on the stage.

The Beat Cafe was ready for action. The smoking room is in a separate space or outside if you choose. The smell of their house coffee is so intoxicating and fills the room richly. I, lover of caffeine that I am, cannot sleep if I indulge after 2:00 p.m., so found myself relegated to decaf tea. The little darling behind the counter suggested a green tea and carefully steeped it for me for the mandatory 3 minutes before handing it over. Delicious and with a free refill! The owner made the announcement that his fresh chocolate chip cookies would be on sale for $1.00. I indulged and it was a delight. The cinnamon that he adds gives the cookies a unique and original twist. Yummy! If I had been hungrier, I would have had a bowl of his chili--that gets rave reviews!

This event will be taking place again at the end of March. Watch me or Mark's site for updates. I strongly suggest you come out to the Beat to take advantage of this unique and thought provoking event. These are some talented artists showcasing their work in a very special venue. I know some of you have work I would love to hear you read, live and in person. Or just observe--like me. Support your local Detroit artists and coffeehouses. Happy Sunday, friends. xoxo
P.S. Olympic hockey USA vs Canada for the gold. Go USa and a whoo hoo for Jett's Pizza!












7 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

I dig the way that pic of a pic worked out, fits the Beat Cafe bill perfectly. Sounds like a blast all around -- and everybody be happy ;-> Three cheers and the Gold!

Charles Gramlich said...

Looks like that was a lot of fun. I'd love to hang out with you folks some day.

the walking man said...

All that blond and brunette mixed well with the gray. Oh those girls and their ever trying to wrest control from one who never had it in the first place.


Thanks Jodi...

JR said...

I had planned on attending ... until an unexpected surgery. Hopefully, next month. Hopefully, I'll have new material.

Heff said...

That settles it. The Walking Man ROCKS..

Mona said...

Wow! Lucky You!

That is a great picture!

jodi said...

Erik, it was a fun evening--just gotta figure out how to have coffee that late! Charles-WE would love that. You would be incredible as a reader at the event! Mark-It was a good mix, wasn't it? Let those chicks think that they are still fighting for it! J.R.-we have to hook up. Sorry you had to miss it. Hope you are feeling better! Hef-WM does rock! How come I can't comment on your site? Mona, it was fun and I AM lucky--very lucky.. xo to all and enjoy our early spring weather. xo