Monday, March 10, 2014

Blue Heaven...



In an old, two story, funky looking house in Key Heaven my favorite restaurant can be found.  Located off the main strip in an area known as Bahama Village, it is the epitome of Keys style.  You have to look closely for the signage and the big blue arched gate that marks the entrance. 

There is both indoor as well as outdoor dining areas and bar space but I always prefer the outdoor arena. Tropical plants and flowers are left mostly in their natural state with colorful hibiscus and bougainvillea everywhere.  The open air is 'roofed' by multicolored tarps strung between the trees.  It's imperative that you watch your step so you don't trip on the roots of giant banyan trees in the middle of the 'dining room'.  There is an area that once was a boxing ring that old Ernest himself used to come and spar.   Wild chickens roam around on the ground and nest in the trees accepting any food offering you might have for them.  They co-exist peaceably with numerous cats lounging about as well.

There is most usually a wait for a table.  The outdoor bar is fun to cozy up to and watch this crazy dining experience play out.  If that doesn't suit you, there is a gift store hocking the usual souvenir's available to poke thru.  And randomly, a ping pong table sits off to the side allowing for gamesmanship if you are so inclined.

I love the food.  It's a cool blend of local fresh fare with a Bahamian twist.  I find myself ordering the exact same thing every time I go there and it never disappoints.  Yellowtail snapper with a citrus sauce, beans and rice, cornbread and plantains is the plate I can never turn down.  Playboy magazine rated this very dinner as a top ten favorite once.  You know I agree!

Do you have a favorite eatery?  I'd love to hear about it.  xo

4 comments:

the walking man said...

So on your way out of town bring a couple of take outs and we'll have coffee.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sin in a glass. Gotta love that sign. I'd certainly come in.

Erik Donald France said...

Sounds absolutely fabulous, Jodi. Love it ~!

A fave eatery in Detroit: Baker's Keyboard Lounge, southern style chicken and greens and big knockout drinks set to live jazz. Hail a taxi as needed . . . Close to heaven, its ambiance on the right night.


jodi said...

Mark, doubt it would survive the long trip home, but coffee I can handle! Charles-Isn't that the coolest statement a eatery can claim? Erik-I will make a plan to go there. Would be a total blast if you could go too!! Have a peaceful, lovely week, my darlings! xo