Tuesday, April 11, 2017

We are Family....

So, yesterday was, "National Siblings Day" and it's been awhile since I've used these corny 'holidays' as a blog prompt-but this one is just too easy.

A quote by Harper Lee from To Kill a Mockingbird expresses the sentiment 'old skool.'  "You can choose your friends but you sho' can't choose your family, an' they're still kin to you no matter whether you acknowledge 'em or not, and it makes you look right silly when you don't."

When I hear someone say, "you can't pick your family, just your friends,"  I have always realized my great fortune in having a brother and a sister that are both to me.  Smugly, I can feel sorry for anyone not as lucky as myself.   As witnessed in the pic taken a few years ago at Sloppy Joe's, we always have a blast together.  (And maybe sometimes a little TOO much fun, but hey, we did the Papa H. proud!)  We confide, vent, commiserate, scheme and defend each other to the end.  I could go on and on about our bond, but I think you get the picture.

The bonus of having family that happens to be good friends too is a blessing and I would not trade Steve and Lisa and our relationship for anything!  We have a vacation together coming up and I look forward to the new experience while having 50+ years of memories and laughs thrown in.

Thanks Steve and Lisa for always being the best friends and family I could ever have.  I'd choose you every time-sho' nuff.  Now bring it in for a group hug!! xo

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm afraid I didn't think of my siblings on national siblings day. Course, they didn't seem to think of me either.

Erik Donald France said...

Hey hey, Jodi ~ to the sibs and familia! I am also fortunate to get along well with my sibs -- two older sisters and a younger brother, and my mother still travels, so we all rotate on trips &c. with her. Good stuff!