Monday, August 14, 2017

Something New...

I bitched and complained.  I made excuses. I pleaded and I wheedled. There was no way I was going to a NASCAR race.  But, the DeWALT company offered to generously entertain us and provide tickets to cheer on the car that they sponsor.  So, as a good(?) supportive(?) wife, I peevishly agreed to go.  I warned Randy that he owed me BIG for my cooperation.  (I'm thinking Paris....)
The day promised to be very far out of my comfort zone.  I would be rising well before dawn to be a captured audience for a day slated to be hot, loud, and crowded.  And the worst of the worst-the dreaded porta potties.  I probably would be NA'SCARRED' for life.  But as DeWalt's newest and proudest distributer, I would just have to take one for the team.  (Insert a weak fist pump and an even weaker, 'go team.')

Randy and I and niece Nicole made our way to Brooklyn (MIS Speedway) where we were greeted by Don and Shannon, our gracious hosts.  Their attention to detail was amazing!   They set up the tailgater to end all tailgaters complete with a tent of wonderful food and beverages along with a giant grill.  There was cornhole, and an 8 person octo-bong for shooting beer-and no, I did not partake.  As you can imagine, the people watching just got better as the day went on.  I even survived one trip to the porta potties without too much duress.  Randy was treated to some time in the pits and DeWALT outfitted him like one of the pit crew.  He loved it!

At race time, Nicole and I made our way to our seats and inserted our earplugs.  As the cars lined up, I learned that pole position is not just for dancers.  I found myself actually getting caught up with the excitement and Nicole was totally into it, cheering and doing some weird redneck sound.  I also learned that there would be 200 laps.  Are you kidding me?

At about 150 laps later, our driver, Matt Kenseth dropped down in the standings, so  we decided to pack it in.  Hot, sweaty, dirty and tired, it was time to go home.

Okay, I confess to being pleasantly surprised.  Not only did I survive-I had fun.  It proves to me once again that it's WHO you are with-not WHERE you are.  And maybe I need to keep more of an open mind once in awhile.  Maybe...

Thanks to Don and Shannon and DeWALT for a very cool day.  And my wingman, Nicole for her redneck spirit.  (But if you ever make that pig squeal sound again, I will bop you in the head with your Peppermint Schnapps bottle!)

Gotta go Dolls-there are some tickets I need to book!  'Merica!  xo


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yee haw! KFC, Budweiser, and burning rubber! Glad you had fun!!!

Charles Gramlich said...

I went to a few short track races while in grad school. My girlfriend at the time had a family member involved. And I enjoyed them