Monday, September 8, 2008

Black Betty R.I.P....




So, I have retired my old girl. After 5 years of faithful service, my dear Black Betty has been traded in for a newer model. (see 06/01 post for more deets on B.B.) Unlike women, the car version does not get better with age. She was tired and I had worked her hard. She has done her job well and deserves a rest. I hope she gets purchased by a caring person, who will treat her like the old queen that she is. Plenty of oil changes and visits to the auto spa, with only the top shelf "cocktail " at the gas pump. Rest well sweet girl. That said, there's a new sheriff in town! Meet Ruby Dee, my latest and greatest. She is a HOTTIE! My brother, Steve, at Dean Arbour Ford in Alpena, really hooked me up this time! Candy apple red with a black cloth convertible top. Tires and rims that are extra special, and will keep the dudes at Belle Tire from tryin' to upgrade me! The 45Th anniversary year warrants cool, limited edition 'stang symbols on floor mats, dash, etc. Many bells and whistles that I am still figuring out. The upgraded stereo bumps with Sirius radio and my ipod has a built in. Bigger body frame makes the front seat larger overall. Slick matte chrome fixtures and black leather, HEATED seats. Whoo Hoo! And she smells delicious! Mmmm.m.m.m Eau de new Mustang!!! She purrs like my my dear Lola on her faux cashmere blankie! And she is a ROCKET. The 350 horses plus engine gets outta bed quicker than Betty did, and makes merging and passing even more fun. For most of my driving life, I drove used, dependable, gas conserving cars that I could barely make the payment on. They served me well and were cost appropriate at the time. I've only had a few new cars in my life, so I realize my good fortune now. The fact that Ruby cost more than the first house I purchased, most definitely gives me pause. I don't ever take this luxury for granted and even feel sort of guilty about the money. Sort of. As an old hippie, this kind goes against my grain. How to justify? Decadence wears well on me? I am a "car person"? Okay, I really can't justify--only recognize. So keep and eye out for the Ruby chariot with myself and a little Bengal cat ridin' shotgun. Comin' to a city near you, soon! xoxox

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

woo hoo hot car. no new owner for black betty, still looking for them. enjoy steve

Anonymous said...

Just be careful in the snow.--Detroit cab driver Benny Parsons

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey beautiful Jodi,

LOVE the new car! I want to go for a ride very very very soon. xo, m

Anonymous said...

What fun Ruby Dee is. it was fun to ride up in Black Betty and Ride home in ruby Dee. Get your motor Runnin!!!! Enjoy her. PS. Nice choice on the rims Steve!!