Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dirty laundy....




For cryin' in the night, is nothing sacred any more? I am referring to the constant exposure to peoples personal lives. I am particularly annoyed by a recent trend to announce ones sexual predilections to the world. Who the hell cares? Lately it seems everywhere you turn there is "news" about some "stars" sexual preferences. Chargin' out of the closet. I can't believe that anyone feels the need to identify themselves and that they are disillusioned enough to think anyone cares. A friend of mine describes himself as "a guy who is gay"--not a gay guy. This is because it is not what defines him as a person. And I have never felt the need to say that I am a heterosexual female. I label this as "oversharing". And this is deemed newsworthy, why? I don't give a rats ass if you have sex with your parakeet, as long as it's consensual. This constant disclosure is getting on my nerves. These train wrecks are almost impossible to turn away from, but leave me feeling about as deep as a mud puddle. It seems we waste so much valuable time concentrating on what diets people subscribe to, who's designer wear they are sporting, their religious and political beliefs, what they order at Starbucks, and what they do in their every waking moment. Who is in rehab and what is their poison, be it drug, alcohol, eating disorders, etc. An actor has just confessed to a sexual addiction and is seeking council. Sad, but not really my business. It's the nothing left to the imagination thing. I happen to like imagination. Especially mine. It allows me to see things in my own naive way. I prefer my ignorance over the raw exposure of every truth. The mystery of people is far more appealing. And what about those one sided cell phone calls we are forced to endure everywhere we go? Some loud lout " allowing" you do be in on all their trivialities. At least turn on the speaker so I can get the whole story. You can go on t.v. and have your babies paternity finally discovered. Real classy. Your messy house can be displayed in all it's filthy glory while someone else cleans it up for you. Nice. People are getting weighed on live t.v. Yes, WEIGHED!! No freakin' way. You can even sign on your poor, unsuspecting dog for a contest and judication. Judges can insult you while you sing or dance, style hair or design something. Yes, she COULD be a model but she is just too "pedestrian." Huh? Much of these competitions actually house the contestants together and interview their bitchin' about each other and the forming of "alliances". Or any number of real judges will hear your case in court--ON TV! Preside over your divorce? No problem. More "over sharing." And then these same people get the honor of ELECTING A PRESIDENT!!! I've got about a million pay channels to divert me--thank God and Mary. I can almost always find a good movie that serves as an escape when I need it. A pile of books lays in wait, too. And I like to think of it as a little less mindless. Now that I've got that off of my chest, I just need to warn you of something. After I've been "overserved", I tend to "overshare". And I won't mind if you tell me so. Gotta go now to watch the "Sex and the City" movie that I just purchased. Must stay enriched, you know.... xoxo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I agree. Thank goodness for TLC, home and garden channel, Sci-fi, and the food network. Give me a good recipe from Paula Dean!! let's keep our private lives private!!!

the walking man said...

As long as someone's personal proclivities have no affect on my bottom line...let them muddle along in their own way. We have become a voyeuristic society, much to our discredit.

Erik Donald France said...

Yes, there's definitely a trend toward TMI.

Voyeuristic, yes, and also exhibitionist.

I liked the S&tC movie, but really want to see a Sopranos movie, with Tony getting out of the slammer on a technicality and picking up from there.

These look good, too: Rachel Getting Married and Revolutionary Road.

Anonymous said...

its your mouth, you can haul coal with it if you want to, i really dont care. dont want to see it, but dont care. just my rantings on your blog, sorry steve

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey gorgeous,

I agree. I mean, Clay Aiken? This is not a shock to any sane person. I'm glad if it helps him in some way and others who are struggling in the closet, but I see your point. As for the sex addiction, well, David D. should come see me for "treatment." Umm, kidding! Can't get enough of Californication. xoxo, m

JR's Thumbprints said...

Without the "idiot box," the prisoners would riot. They thrive on all those crappy reality and talk shows you mention.

One other thing I've grown to hate: Baby Blogs. I will never again click that "Next Blog" button.