Monday, September 1, 2008

Tattoo you...









I have a tattoo. Yeah. I had always wanted one, even growing up. But in Northern Michigan the only tattoos I had exposure to was some biker peeps and my uncle Jim's traditional Navy one--you know--the girl with the sailor hat. Thank the Lord, it was before excessive body piercing, because you can be sure, I would be the girl with all things pierced as well as probably too many tasteless tatts. I now realize that too much of a good thing is well, just too much. I love body adornment, but too often it can appear like body mutilation. My son, asked for a tattoo for Christmas when He was 17. I told him, that yes, I would be happy to pop for it as long it was something I approved of. How about a heart with a "Mom" banner on it? Perfect, in my opinion. Needless to say, He got his bass clef tattoo on his bicep, on his own. Playing the bass guitar inspired his choice, so it was a thought out idea that meant something to him. I doubt He will ever regret it. It gives me pause to see so many people employing this form of self expression--and the things they must be trying to express. Children's names, memorials of loved ones, assorted Disney characters, butterflies, roses, the usual barbed wire arm band, favorite bands, pets, and the such. I could only guess the impression that these themes must have had to prompt someone to have them permanently inked on. So, giving myself permission to get my own tattoo, gave me something to really think about. It had to be something profoundly meaningful. But what? I had no idea offhand. One evening at yoga class, I studied a poster explaining the 7 chakras. Upon reading, the second chakra hit me right between the eyes. It was an explanation that suited me EXACTLY!! So much that I instantly knew that I had found my tattoo. In a nutshell (I promise), the second of the seven energy centers is known as Svadhisthana--meaning sweetness. Awww. The chakra is located 2 inches below the bellybutton on the soft, vulnerable underside. It is the sign of creativity and sensuality. It's color is orange, and it's sense is taste. The element is water and it is ruled by a blue, crescent moon. When meditating, the chant is "Vam'--which is also my maiden name. This all perfectly coincides with my astrological sign of Cancer. I am a true cancerian with a tough exterior and a soft side, too. As a water sign and a moon child, the parallels continue. I love the 6 petal lotus shape of the symbol. So, this is it. Within days I had my appointment at Eternal Tattoo. A few glasses of wine made the whole thing go almost painlessly. My lower back (yeah, I know, a "tramp stamp") sports my yogic i.d. and I love it. It was the first chakra symbol that the artist had ever done. As a recently released guy, his practice on the "inside" did not include many yoga symbols! Imagine that. I only occasionally consider another, but probably will stay with just the one. Please let me know if you have a tatt or how you would represent if you were to get one. Happy thoughts. Peace. xo

5 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Vert cool -- here's to chakra and lower back tattoos!

Cheryl said...

Hey sister, of course you already know that I have a tat of a palm tree on my right back shoulder. It represents peacefulness to me because when ever I see a palm tree I think of a warm tropical place and that is sooooo soothing! I keep toying with the idea of getting another one but I just haven't done it yet... maybe we'll do it together!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to get a fishing pole on my coo-coo rod. That way when I get excited I can yell "FISH ON"

:)

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey gorgeous,

LOVE your tattoo! I think it's so cool and sexy! I want to get one at some point -- I think an M with stars, a version of the Virgin Mary symbolism. I love how much thought went into yours.

Scott said...

Jodi, I have several tattoos. a lion on my right arm, Godzilla with his name in Kanji on my left leg, a black cat on the other side of my left leg, a lion killing a dragon on my right leg, and the barbarian from Manowar's cover artwork on my left arm, surrounded by flames in the shape of a lion's face. No, I'm not a Leo-I guess you could say the lion is my totem.