Monday, December 15, 2008

It's Raining Men........


My dear blogfriend, "the walking man" has inspired me to write about gay rights. Regarding "calling in gay", in which WM's post explains rather logically and eloquently why it is not really up to us to judge, but rather accept all choices as a matter of human rights. By calling in gay, we could see how much and how very equal ALL people are. We would miss having our favorite bankers, actors, store clerks, real estate reps. etc. to make our days run smoothly. Please read his writing on this subject. It is right on and inspiring. Now, for a more emotional plea. Why, in God's name, could anyone have issue with gay marriage or gay rights? It's human marriage and human rights. All of my life, I have attracted and been attracted to friendships that could be considered on the fringe. I have been called a bleeding heart, underdog champion as well as that trendy, but insulting term--fag hag. Rather than labeling my friends as anything but friends was more the way I viewed it. I treasure these friends not for the exotic birds they may be, but as the unique, individuals that understand and are comfortable in their own skin. It makes for such a rich relationship when those layers can be peeled back and you can get to the good stuff. Kinda like a fresh, steamed, artichoke heart--understanding the thing lets you get to the heart of the matter with a hot butter bonus. A treasured friend has explained to me that he is not my "gay friend", but my friend who is gay. He doesn't wish to be identified by his sexuality any more than I do. The same friend also answered my question as to why I seem to attract such a varied group. His answer was that my acceptance of all people radiates from me and draws in people like a moth to a flame. I am trusting and trusted. It was probably the biggest compliment I have ever received. I have a uncle and his partner that have been in our lives since I was a child, and they are accepted as a loyal and loving couple. In fact, they have lasted longer than most hetero unions I know. Growing up, it was accepted as different, but okay. I was the "best woman" in a marriage of two of the most in love people I have ever met. The ceremony was touching and reverent and the day was joyous. All vestiges of "normal" nuptials were present--just with better decorations and music. The trials of everyday marriage seem to effect us all, across the board--but the genuine love and respect is evident. Two of my friends that married in San Fransisco have adopted a child born of a very disadvantaged mother, and have given her a loving, stable home. I used to babysit my friend when HE was adopted by my neighbors and now he has done the same for his daughter. How could anyone deem that this couple are not fit to parent this baby that would otherwise end up in the inadequate foster system? They love her wholly and I could not be more proud of them. (Check out his blog at The Daddies' Chronicles.) What cracks me up is the blockheads who think that the everyday banker, gym trainer, or landscaper is not gay or worse? Uh, HELLO. One in nine is the stat used for numbers on this reality. And who ever cares? I have heard a crude but true little ditty that says on this regard, "it's your mouth and I don't care if you haul coal with it." the quoted person means it--he truly doesn't care. Or how about the fools that somehow associate pedophilia with being gay. Totally unrelated. But as usual, ignorance breeds hatred. My mom would probably break the whole thing down to this simple thought, "if you can't say anything nice, than shut your mouth." I usually would agree to that but in this case I would prefer a different tactic. Please express your support as often as you can. We are One Human Family--a Key West motto. And as an old hippy, I maintain, all we need is love. xoxo P.S. A get well shout out to my darling Michelle (Michelle's Spell) who had an unfortunate surgery. Her creative and inspiring writing is missed as well as her lovely photos. Get feelin' better luv, we miss u. xoxoxoxo Dane says, "hopefully they gave you morphine." Damn kid! xoxo

6 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Jodi, this is brilliant. I totally agree with you, Walking Man, Michellespells, etc.

We have a;; been blessed to have such a variety of friends. I was lucky to have sisters who have many gay and lesbian friends.

Three cheers -- great work!

E'

p.s. word verifcation reads -- disco ;->

the walking man said...

You got it Jodi...we need to remove all of the sexual and religious overtones from the debate and classify the dialog over homosexuality for what it is: CIVIL RIGHTS.

Thanks for the nod kiddo.

Gary G said...

I tried to be a boy, I tried to be a girl, I tried to be a mess, I tried to be the best. I guess I did it wrong, that's why I wrote this song. This type of modern life, is it for me? This type of modern life, is not for free! American life. I live the American Dream? You are the best thing I've seen, you are not just a dream...

Addison Thanks You for defending her FAMILY!!! We LOVE YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have had friends and neighbors from all walks of life. they have colored my memories in many wonderful ways. I am a better person for having them in my life at different times of my life. Live and let live, do not judge lest ye be judged, we are all God's children, just a few phrases to live by. Proud to be a Detroit girl!!

JR's Thumbprints said...

I just watched "Chuck & Larry" (the remake) and wasn't impressed with it; in fact, I thought the story was flat. I did laugh at some of the jokes, but for the most part I thought the jokes were crude.

BTW, nice tribute ... and classy.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey gorgeous,

That's so true -- I don't really understand the hatred and weirdness that seems to go hand in hand with banning gay marriage. And you are a loving, accepting person and you attract the same to you -- in all forms! Thanks for the healing words -- I am on the mend, thank God! xo, Michelle