Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ask any Mermaid.....


Like the rock stars we are, we survived the "Sloth, Indulgence, and Debauchery 09" tour with a minimum of injury. Oh yea, you had your basic run of the mill injuries such as, sunburn, testy livers, dipping B.A.C. levels, etc. and more dangerously-- embedded fishhooks, crab claw pinched fingers and mysterious bodily bruises. There was even some talk of the liver being evil and needing to be punished--if that tells ya anything! Key West on St. Paddy's Day took care of that dilemma. But, now I am home. I am spending the weekend on re-entry. Laundry, restocking the larder, perusing a bag of newspapers and bills and reuniting with the pets and Ruby Dee. Nothing feels better than coming home to your own bed. The condo just doesn't yet feel like home to me. Not enough routine, I guess. Lola has been letting me use her for a pillow and her contented purring is the perfect white noise for dreamland. And Mickey almost threw out his back wagging his tail in joy! As always, it's good to get away and even better to get home. Got my lazy ass to the gym a pushed my way thru boot camp.



While checking out a keys resale store, I happened upon the book, "The Mermaid Chair". I've been wanting to read it for some time, but was too cheap to buy it. I hurried to the pool with my treasure and indulged to my hearts content! I love Sue Monk Kidd's writing style and had to know just what a 'mermaid's chair' was. Turns out that the story was so realistic, it had me checking to see if there really is a patron saint that was once a mermaid. Wiki says no, but I just love the idea. It would be so cool to give weight to one of my favorite of romantic legends. I have always had a fascination of the woman/fish and her mythical power over men. Of course, she has that power because she doesn't really need a man for anything. Independence is liberating even in the ocean! Keeps her amused and the men who adore her perplexed. Perfect.




So, how do us seaside mermaids stand a chance? Are we able to learn anything from her technique? It's easy. All we have to do is be gloriously beautiful with luminous sea glass green eyes and flowing locks to our tiny waists. Between our perfect breasts will be nestled a necklace of pearls and shells. We have to sing like the angels and call the boys to us with our ethereal tune. We then mesmerize and lure them into the water for our special mating ritual. And when they are sufficiently hooked, we ask nothing of them, and just simply swim away. Ta ta for now! Sort of an oceanic use of the old use 'em and abuse 'em theme. Some girls have it all figured out. Working the beauty to our own means. Loving all of the good times without the responsibility of the bad. You men would be the easy part, it's just our hangups that prevent us from being our own mythical legends. Unfortunately, here on shore there is a different word for it..... P.S. enjoy the spring weather that is finally upon us. xoxo

6 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Cool stuff, nice to be nestled back, too, eh? Mermaids, the Laurelei, the Sirens. Yes, and the land versions, too . . .

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm gearing up for a new fishing season. I see men with tackle boxes doing the chicken walk toward the spillway dam; They've been catching steelheads. No mermaids though.

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey beautiful,

You're my favorite mermaid! I always loved the idea of being able to swim off :) Or being a siren. Glad you're back safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

i must admit the annual trec was a huge success. my liver will never be the same, i have some small wounds all over my hands??? unexplained brusies??? could it be that i really dont love fishing that much. could i be looking for a mermaid??? twelve more months we can do it all again. thanks for a wonderful time. ttfn steve

the walking man said...

I've never met a woman that was not half mermaid. Or a man deaf enough to not be seduced by the sirens call.

jodi said...

Hey Eric, so happens one on my favorite bars is the "Loreli" in Islamorda, where us seaside mermaids like to get our drink on! JR-I love spring salmon. How about the Rockwell pic of the fisherman that lands the mermaid? It CAN happen! Michelle, U R a siren! xoxo Steve-keep watchin' that ocean and maybe she will appear. Sorry about that unfortunate liver thing. WM--nobody says it better!