Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Other Side of Summer....




In speaking with my Dad this past week, he posed this question. Why aren't you writing more? Ya gettin' lazy, or what?
So yes, hell yes, I had to admit. This weather has me lazier than a cut dog. (That's up north speak for a neutered or spayed dog and the ambitions it lacks!) Not sure if lazy is the appropriate word, because on a much lower level, I AM doing something. I have read many books lately and even got a little paint on the canvas. I have napped every afternoon for looonnnng, lazy hours while still sleeping in a little later in the morning. Dinners are usually something cold or simple or better yet, off of a menu.

But writing? Not so much. I sort of vowed when I started this blog thing, that I would not make it a journal of my weekly, regular happenings. My daily minutiae bores meto tears, much less any hapless reader! I would try to tell stories or at least address something relevant. Or maybe even venture into a little non-fiction, as witnesses in my ONE stab at it in the blog titled "Two Egg Day", posted under "Baby, it's Cold Outside". And for some reason, I hate to write of someone that is still living. I keep notes when something seems 'blog worthy' to me, but lately I have really been uninspired. I still love to read all my blog friends posts and comment on them, too. But I have been very dreamy and mushy headed myself, with barely a clear thought. Even more than usual! (which I own) I seem to start and then lose my train of thought entirely. And as much as local politics make for a wild ass story as does the tragic oil debacle threatening my precious Keys, I just am still too uninformed to comment.

I can only blame the heat. You know your getting old (which I own) when you dwell on the weather. But it IS so relevant! I used to totally revel in the summer temps--and still do on the more temperate days, but more and more am finding it draining, both mentally and physically. We've all heard of the 'dog days' of summer and I suppose that this is what it is describing. I have cut my gym time in half as the place is like a rain forest--just with a funkier smell. Although the regular 'snakes' don't seem to mind. All the better glisten for the biceps and such! And some of that funk is ME! Even my L'vanilla and Secret gel can't live up to the task! An abbreviated, small effort on the weights and a little treadmill time, and I am SO outta there. Drop the top on Ruby Dee and hope to not offend the traffic in the area!

Again, the dog thing. Lazy and smelly and just a little more jiggly. NOT a pretty picture. Paired with the discovery of Krunchers Kosher Dill Potato Chips and Ultra Pomegranate and Raspberry beer and it is NOT a pretty picture. Even my position of utmost importance, (1 day a week in our warehouse) is on hold, because it has been like a blast furnace in there. I hope the company can still turn a profit without me sweeping in and handling the lunch details and such!

So, here is a couple of pics sure to cool you down. Can you really stand another pic on a boat with a cocktail? (Weellll, that's not REALLY over!) The downtown Mt. Clemens ice carvings are very cool and buddy Chance, is totally chillin'....Let me know what y'all are doin' to stay inspired these steamy days....xoxo Well, maybe just kisses--it's too hot to hug.... xxxxxx

11 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm hanging in the AC, although Lana keeps the house so cold I feel like I'm in the arctic. As I type I have a blanket wrapped around my shoulders. Maybe it's ME who is getting old.

Anonymous said...

Chancy Paukers chillin!

MMM.... the frumunda/downunda gym smell. I dont miss the locker room funk.

I think at one point you called it "washing the ditch" LOL

Jammin

Heff said...

The heat's damn sure slowin' me down !

Unknown said...

Chancy Paukers!

Hope you had a good birthday, it was great seeing you this weekend.

I hear you on the blog thing. My life is so mundane right now, I have nothing to talk about.

Mrs. Ivan said...

Hey Jode's: You know me; I do everything I possibly CAN to stay out of the heat & sun. Those 90+ days last week were a killer. I kind of like working on them days @ least the Hosp has air. Love the pic of Chance soaking up the coldness. I can so relate. Love ya.

rosegarden said...

the heat is brutal but it is soooo short lived i don't mind. A few sinus headaches can't keep me down!! Miss your 1 day a week in the warehouse. there is power in numbers!! Looking forward to your return. Dixie plays dead and just plops in the hot summer sun. The lazy days of summer are kicking in!!

JR's Thumbprints said...

So I've heard there was another B-day! Hope your day was special.

As for writing: It gets more difficult with age. Right now I feel like I'm making a one-way trip to the cuckoo's nest. Still, I've got a few projects hatching.

Erik Donald France said...

One thing I never wanna be is a "cut dog" ;->

The second photo looks very Russian and cool . . .

The key to still writing in the summer is air conditioning, I guess . . .

Mona said...

I always believe in blogging without obligation.

Besides there are so many other things to do, than writing!

Great pictures!

Mona said...

Hey! apparently it was your birthday a few days back!

Wish you a belated Happy Birthday. Hope it was a good one!

jodi said...

Charles, I keep my house like a meat locker! Anon/Jammin-Chance is chillin', u funky monkey! Heff-Don't I know it! My yard is suffering..Kels-bday was great. Luv my fingerless gloves. So Madonna-ish! xo Mrs.Ivan-Missing you and Mr. Ivan. Come over soon! Rosegarden, U poor thing, with those sinuses! Yes, I am lazier than ever! JR- somedays are harder than others. Can't wait for the 'hatch'. Thanks for the wishes! Erik-Gasp! No cut dog for you! Yeah, it IS sorta Russian. I freeze to death in winter and have very warm clothing--but no Russian accent!! Mona-thanks for the wish! I too, feel no obligation other than to myself. Blogging and interacting with you and others has become very important to me. I love it! xo to you all...