Sunday, November 28, 2010

Better Days....


This weekend I learned a new phrase and practiced it completely. The new line is this, "dolce far niente". It is Italian and it translates: 'the sweetness of doing nothing'. I have no trouble with that one...

After cooking the bird and hauling it's little browned-in-a-cooking-bag ass up to Port Sanilac and then driving home in the pouring rain, with heavy traffic in the dark--I can assure you that on Friday I was ready to crash. After putting in some time at the gym to atone for sins of gluttony.

But then the nothing. And the sweetness of it all...

I read the book "Eat, Pray, Love" after all of my friends and with much resistance. Many of them had reported that the book was everything from good to life changing. Hmmm...That shit just scares me. I don't know if I WANT my life changed. I like to eat, pray and love, so whatever could be my issue? I don't know, I'm just pigheaded that way.

When I finally (in secret) read the book, guess what? Yep, I loved it. So now as I indulge in being lazy, I purchase the movie, based on the book of the same name on PPV. A large bowl of popcorn and a MGD and I'm good to go. That is good to go to Bali, Italy, India and then back to Bali. Total escapism as I watched Julia Roberts as Liz, navigate these lush, and beautiful landscapes. The food made me want to lick the screen, the effects of good meditation was healing even to watch, and the love....well, the love was with Javier Bardem and well, let's just say, even more yummy than the pasta...(more screen licking...) Also the soundtrack was amazing. The two songs by Eddie Vedder can almost make me cry.


Then, on a carb-loaded tummy, I dozed off for a nice long snooze. Then made some turkey noodle soup.


A perfect way to escape from all the shopping madness on this chilly weekend. I refuse to succumb to the pressure that has already begun to hang in the air like the scent of those cinnamon pine cones. Maybe I'll get the wreath on the door sometime this week. And I'm sure Kroger will have my gift cards when I get around to getting them.

For now, just a little more of that sweetness, doing nothing..

9 comments:

the walking man said...

in honor of dolce far niente this is all i am going to say

rosegarden said...

Aonymous was me on your last post> I watched Eat, Pray Love too this weekend. Had a nice weekend too. Not too busy nad not as much shopping as I usually do. Took tike to have some fun!!

Charles Gramlich said...

That's the kind of life I want for myself. And I had it this weekend.

Unknown said...

Glad your bird turned out!

I read EPL last winter and enjoyed it. I need to rent the movie from Redbox at some point in the near future! I really want to see it!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Okay Jody, let's be honest now - How many dudes would like "Eat, Pray, Love" (movie or book). I've already told my wife, don't you rent that movie, 'cause I ain't watchin' it. Am I wrong? Should I endure "the chick flick?" Sounds like you had a wonderful holiday.

Heff said...

I thought "dolce far niente" translated to Lazy Ass.

Perhaps I'm wrong.

Erik Donald France said...

Beautiful. Makes me want to relax and do nothing right now . . .

JR cracks me up. Must admit, I'd rather see Pork Chop Hill again ;->

JR's Thumbprints said...

Or "Porky's Revenge."

jodi said...

Mark, the sweetness of DOING nothing-not SAYING nothing! Dufus!! Rosegarden-u got some 'splaning to do..Charles-me too. Good for you on attaining it! Kelly-R even liked it! JR,JR,JR, you are such a dude! It is not really a chick flick. The lessons concern us all. Let her rent it, and keep your mind open. Truly, I think you'll like it! Heff-my favorite yoga quote is, 'remember that we are human beings, not human doings.' It's okay to chill now and then. Erik-hope you took time to chill. And watch the movie-I think you will enjoy it! JR and Erik-no pork was injured in the writing of this blog! I am a cornball..xoxo