Sunday, January 9, 2011

Rock and Roll.....

Bye the grace of God, and some powerful drugs, I am FINALLY able to sit up and take nourishment. Yes, nine days total of suffering have left me weak but ready to join the land of the living. Lola thought it was probably the best week of her little, furry life with my availability as a snuggle partner moving from bed to sofa and back with very little action in between. I stupidly waited a week longer than I should have to get meds, stubbornly thinking I could kick the misery on my own. My doc rolled her eyes and wrote up the magic potion that gave me a reason to live after 24 hours of ingestion. Just want to say, if ya get started with this thing, run--don't walk to the doctors, as the symptoms can go on a month without treatment. Stubborn bravado doesn't lessen the damn thing....

So, it was on Saturday night that I went from rollin' to rockin'. Yeah, I know. Corny but true. I visited the Emerald Theatre for the second time in as many months. Friends got us interested in the E.T's 10 year anniversary party with 5 local bands doing a limited ticket, up close performance. I was a little nervous as the whole party wasn't starting UNTIL 9:00--an hour which I usually am starting to wind things down. I also am very impatient with no valet service and a long walk across a parking lot in pictured heels coupled with the lack of a coat check that makes you drag around the warm coat necessary for the frigid temps. Three hundred people crowding the main door while getting a cig break witnessed a crabby woman in a leopard fur coat bitchin' and elbowing my way to get thru. (You burn this coat and I will have to put my size 7 1/2 alongside of your head. The fact that there seemed to be one bartender for every 200 people does nothing to improve my mood although the lack of bathrooms is less tolerable with fewer cocktails. That being said...

The bands were great. Loud, but great. Altho the dude enjoying his opiate nap didn't seem to think so. We got up close and enjoyed everything from rap to hip hop to metal. Paradime's rapping was inspired even tho I do not particularly like that type genre. I enjoyed the bass guitar and drum segment of The Howling Diablos band. As usual, the people watching was superb with mohawks, tattoos and piercing galore. Lotsa skin was also on parade by chickies teetering around with giant platform shoes. At least 20 of said chickies were purported to be dating someone in Critical Bill. Ummm, interesting stats for a 5 man band.

At 1:30, as things wrapped up, I opted not to go out for breakfast, which was the next logical step after a rock n roll night such as this. Had a ball, but was ready for it all to go away. Nope, all partied out. So, home with heels off and eyeliner removed, the now logical plan was bed. So much for my rock experience. In ten years on their next anniversary I hope they have Tom Jones and I hope his set starts at 7:00! Cuz that's how I roll....xo

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Wow, I'm really glad you are feeling better after that ordeal.

Erik Donald France said...

Yes, indeed, glad you are recovering! It's a miserable season for flu and gunk. Probably is every year, but I forget once it's over for a spell!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I seldom leave the house for anything; however, last Friday I ventured out to see a friend's band playing in a bowling alley in Almont. I didn't get too far before being rear-ended by a teenager. Turns out, my homemade trailer hitch speared the front of his car, sending plastic all over the pavement. I don't know whether he made it to wherever he was traveling, but I did have fun seeing old friends playing cover tunes of Johnny Cash, The Ramones, & Social Distortion.

rosegarden said...

glad you are on the mend. This seems to plague about once a year!! sounds like a good time on saturday!! More cold on the way!! Snuggle time!!

Anonymous said...

glad you made it back to the land of the living. i was afraid you were screening my calls. lets get planning, 7 or 8 weeks we need to warm up. see you soon. steve

wallycrawler said...

You have great assets there lil'girl.

jodi said...

Charles, HEALED! Erik, so happy to be back in the game! JR-aww, sounds like your night ended well. They covered some of my favorite artists. Rose-Lola and I MAJORLY snuggled! Steve-Can't wait either. I will work on reservations this week so we can start counting the days.. Wally-thanks, I think. But dear, there's nothing 'lil' on this girl... Happy mid January to y'all. Stay warm and remember that we only have about 6 more weeks to go! xoxo