Sunday, July 10, 2011

Stayin' Alive....



At a past post from blogfriend, Charles, we were invited to help him name his latest book. He gave us a few to choose from and then considered our opinions in his final choice. "Midnight in Rosary" is the name that He settled on, and I like it.


So when we were asked to consider how important the name of a book can be, I had to admit that I have many times bought a book based just on the catchy or clever name and/or a beautiful cover pic. Sometimes the font of the print alone will catch my eye. I usually take off the paper jacket on the book--and defiantly remove it when I am embarrassed at a cheesy title that I am indulging in.


So, when browsing at a local book sale, one book jumped out at me and practically landed in my hands. The cover showed 3 raggedy looking children in an old black and white photo and the title of the story was, "The Hypocrisy of Disco". I could not resist. And it was a memoir set in San Francisco about a child growing up during the 'summer of love' by your usual, run of the mill hippie parents. It is author Clane Hayward's first foray into writing. Claude and H'Lane proved to be forerunners in the strange baby name trend and that poor child is still probably explaining that handle.


The story is told of 3 children with different fathers being raised by their mother and various men. They were dirt poor and ate only rice sometimes, while living in shacks without plumbing and electricity. Mostly filthy and lice ridden, somehow their Mom thought this a pure and honorable way to grow up. It never dawned on her that this form of living was akin to abuse, as the kids were scorned everywhere they went. Sending them to school, filthy and barefoot, with a bag of tofu sandwiches for lunch made the children natural targets. Clane develops a heightend sense of her surrounding from all of this though, and treats us to descriptions of smells, sights, and textures in ways that made me feel like I was standing next to her. After being shuffled around from commune to tent to ranch and finally with her true father, and then her grandmother proves to be more of an adventure than I could imagine.


The story is an easy read--sometimes dark, but always with the honesty and trust of a child. Clane persevered and ended up in the armed service and then on to college and teaching school. I love a story with grit that has an ending of triumph. It gives honor to personal endurance and shows that you do not necessarily have to have the perfect upbringing to succeed and be happy. Read this book if you want to be amazed and smile. And find out precisely what the hypocrisy of disco really is.


Yes, I am a year older today. I do not care about the public celebration of birthdays, preferring to be quiet and reflective on the day that marks my birth. Although, you know I love birthday suits and birthday cake. And that's all I'm gonna say about that! xoxo

9 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Happy birthday, Jodi~~! Yeah~

Erik Donald France said...

I totally agree on titles. Midnight in Rosary is perfect. Midnight is usually worthwhile -- I'd like to do one called "Coffee at Midight."

Excellent review, too -- will check it out ~~

p.s. Michelle is another Queen of Good Titles.

Charles Gramlich said...

Happy birthday, and thanks for the title nod! I did think Midnight in Rosary came out very well.

the walking man said...

God damn it, late to the party again. I hope that your birthday was a fine one and the first day of a the finest of years for one of the finest friends a paerson could ask for.

Love You

mark

jrthumbprints said...

Happy belated Birthday, Jodi!

As for titles, I'm thinking "Parallel Planes of Waste" - a memoir about a prison educator whose life takes an unsuspected turn for the worse.

Anonymous said...

Fancy that, I wrote one as well, but it was entitled, "Midnight in Rosie."

rosegarden said...

Hope your birthday was a wonderful day!!! Enjoy the wonderful summer weather!!

Mona said...

O Dear! How Did I miss your Birthday!

Belated happy Birthday to You Jodi!

& Today is my Son's birthday!

I remember reading a similar book, entitled,"everything but money"

jodi said...

Erik-Sigh.. Thanks. "Coffee at Midnight" sounds cool, and I will do the follow up, with "Dead Tire-up all Night"! Charles-You are welcome, friend! Mark-I prefer our coffee celebrations. Email u to schedule! U r the best! xxo JR-how am I going to convince you that your life is taking a turn for the BETTER! U deserve sooooo much more. Coffee soon? BamaTrav- U are one 'natsey' boy!!! Rosegarden-It was and I am! xo Mona-thanks, Mona. Is your son a Cancer? That would make two of us! Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your support and love. You all are the BEST. xo