Monday, July 4, 2011

American Woman....








Happy fourth of July! A few things that make my holiday complete--loaded Bloody Mary's for breakfast, boating with the Ambercrombie models, (aka my hot nephews!) and last but not least, a couple of good books in my hammock! All the things my blog and partywise friend, Michelle, hates about the fourth, are the very things I love. The sun has been perfect and we had 16 people join us for a barbecue. Fireworks on the beach are cool, but not at the expense of Mickey, who hates them. Poor baby. The sky was so clear and there were many shooting stars, which beat the hell out of fireworks for me.


But....on Saturday, a storm that rocked the thumb left us without power for 24 hours showing us how truly and shamefully wimpy we are. Melting ice? What about the beer? No water for showering off the sunscreen and bugs? Egad-a cold water spongebath. Ummm, hauling water from the pump to be able to flush the loo? Oh, this is so NOT working for me. How am I going to charge my cell? Oh yeah, Denzel's car charger can handle that. Candles just aren't cool for anything you really need to see and a much better suited for aromatic and romantic endeavors. And I have been meaning to replace the batteries in the flashlight, of which we have, like, 20 of. Luckily my lighted Ipad enabled me to read in bed, although come morning, SOMEBODY better go SOMEWHERE to score me some caffeine before I detox and get even uglier. Either that or just hang a rope of garlic around my neck and cover the mirrors as I turn into a sunscreen sticky, crazy haired monster. Not anywhere close to pretty..


So, when Thumb Electric hooked us back up, (after numerous calls) I was happy to stroll down Electric Avenue. Make that dance. As kids, we loved power outages and were content to play board games and eat up the refrigerator before everything spoiled. What happened? I don't know and don't care to be tested again anytime soon. I totally feel for those who have truly experienced disasters of the real kind. We truly are blessed and lucky.


Hope y'all had the fourth that makes you happy and contented and grateful. I know I did. xoxo


P.S. Michelle, when running with sparklers, take off those monster heels for your own safety and everyone else's!!! xoxo

4 comments:

the walking man said...

Awww shit I thought it was today! Damn. Missed another one. But I did sleep most of the day away. New books out Jodi...coffee?

Charles Gramlich said...

Harder and harder for me to go without electricity these days. Used to lose it all the time when I was growing up in the country. Didn't seem to mind. Not now.

rosegarden said...

Had a great 4th weekend. Did some relaxing!! We did not loose power. Sounds like a bit of an adventure for you guys!!!! Have a great birthday!!!

jodi said...

Mark, With all the gunshots in yer hood, those fireworks probably seem like just another day. Call ya soon about a coffee date. Gotta get my hands on that new book! xo Charles-I think our tolerance of some things lessens as we get older-lack of power included! Along with huge snowstorms for me... Rosegarden-As pictured, you can see that I didn't suffer much.....xoxo my faithful friends..xo