Monday, August 15, 2011

Somewhere over the Rainbow...



Recently I read that at the funeral of Amy Winehouse, Carol King's "So Far Away"was played. Being Amy's favorite song, it was the perfect closing for her sometimes sad life.


This being said/read, I started to consider the kind of droll subject of funeral music. Hmmmmm. Being a good Catholic girl, I think that the choices may be somewhat limited to songs found only in a hymnal--depending on the priest. 'On Eagles Wings', 'Amazing Grace' and the occasional 'Morning Has Broken' are popular approved favorites that I like.


At the funeral of a friend that was a fallen policeman, 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' was the sad and appropriate song played. R.I.P. Byron. My friend Rose has said that she would prefer 'Let it Be'-also a nice accepting song. I have heard 'What a Wonderful World' both a funerals AND weddings. If Louis only knew..


So dear friends, please take a moment and let me know what you would have played at your demise. A favorite song or something that sums up your feelings about your life? Do mourners even notice? Do YOU even care? I used to think 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow', the Judy Garland recording, would be mine, but now that Israel Kamakawiwo'ole has overexposed it--I don't know. Maybe a Carpenters tune, 'Superstar' being one of my all time favorite songs. I'm gonna ponder. Let me know darlings.


Have a wonderful week and do not die! At least not until you choose your tune. KIDDING!! xoxo

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, it is posted on my blog today. Something like that would be cool.

Charles Gramlich said...

At one point it would have been Stairway to heaven. Now it might be "in this River all shall fade to black" by Black Label Society.

the walking man said...

Seeing as there is specifically stated in my will no memorial service and no grave because the cadaver is already donated; I would like some to stand behind a microphone and read a really poorly written piece of poetry by Ginsburg. Preferably HOWL because by then the 3 people there would have left after the second page and gone on with their life.

Erik Donald France said...

Good one. How about "It's the End of the World as We Know it and I Feel Fine?" Well . . . a whole playlist may be in order for the wake . . . "I Been Everywhere, Man" and now it's time to jump the shark . . .

goatman said...

Inagoddadavida (Iron Butterfly) would be my choice . . .dancin out on the drums!

Interesting question

rosegarden said...

I did sing amazing grace at my grandmother's funeral. My favorite song of all time is Let it Be. It always seems to play on the radio when I need to here it so it would be a fitting song. No traditional sad church music. I like Eric Donald France's idea!!
Hope all is well with your granny!! Love her!!

Anonymous said...

Wierd Al Yankovic
"Another one rides the bus"

Ben Jammin

Cheryl said...

"In the Arms of An Angel" by Sarah McLaughlin is one of my favorite funeral songs.... I also like "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton...

jodi said...

BamaTrav, why won't your blog let me comment? Heffster and Wild Willy look very silly! Charles-great choice! Mark, you are a big nut! I'm gonnna stay for the whole poem. xo Erik-I love your celebration songs! And I feel fine...goatman-that would be interesting and LONG! Rose, I don't even like the Beatles, but that song is perfect. I think of you anytime I hear it. Granny is rockin' and says Hello! Benjammin-you are a wreck-but I love ya. Cheryl-both good choices, but sooooo sad. Thanks for all the great feedback-I love it! Have a great week! xo