Monday, August 22, 2011

Tragedy...




It is very hard for me to justify my usual 'frivolity' this week. I am deeply saddened by the death of Todd Green, who lost his life entertaining us all at the air show this weekend. I watched Saturday's show, from the yard, but thankfully did not witness Todd's terrible fall. Also on my mind is the drive by shooting of a 10 month old baby. It has been reported that the shooting was intentional and a person of interest has been identified. The baby is in the hospital in critical condition. Unimaginable.

Tragic events whether accidental or intentional, are hard for me to comprehend and understand. Why, is my first thought, followed closely by 'what the hell were they thinking'? Altho not exactly the same thing, I have always been fascinated by the abnormal psychology that involves a murder or harming someone. Many bios have been written about serial killers, abusers and the like, and I have read most of them. And I still am no closer to understanding what makes that person tick. Do I even want/need to understand? It's just that we basically start out with the same brains, and environment and heredity do it's thing to such extremes that it scares the hell out of me. And the collateral damage caused to family members as they suffer the life changing aftershocks.


No one has these answers. It's not clear how to handle or punish the people who commit these actions.


Today, I am quietly praying for these people and their families. Also, I am feeling grateful for the blessings and grace in my life. xo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that this morning.

the walking man said...

There is a great difference between someone taking at chance while trying to entertain a crowd and a drive by shooting targeting one person and hitting another.

The first is a calculated risk. The second is usually over money, drugs or sex. This is Detroit after all and one more kid shot in the head is just one more kid shot in the head. That baby was the fourth one under 17 that I know of in the last three weeks and her mother was the supposed target and the father the alleged shooter (sex) and of those four, three were within a couple of blocks of the house. At least the baby has a fighting chance.

The others are just more dead kids littering the streets of the neighborhood, who were playing in a game they never should have been playing in.

Like police chief Godbee said "What the hell is the matter with us, where is the outrage?" The answer is "see it enough and it is just another common occurrence, like the sun going down."

Charles Gramlich said...

We recently had a horrific local even here as well, a handicapped and mentally disabled child who was beheaded by his own father. I lose some faith in the world when such things happen.

jodi said...

BamaTrav-why oh why, can't I comment on your blog. Do you have to add me or something? Do it, dude! Mark-I pointed out the difference, but lumped both of the deaths under the heading of tragedy. Baby deaths will NEVER be a common occurance in my world. You have seen more than me. xo Charles-there is no doubt that we question humanity in the face of these evils. Totally awful and the ugly side of human nature. Thanks boys, U rock! xo