Sunday, December 4, 2011

(Theme from) Valley of the Dolls...

In 1966 Jacqueline Susann penned the classic-at least in my eyes-"Valley of the Dolls".

Then, about four years later, I secretly devoured it, incrementally, while babysitting on Friday nights. I could hardly wait for my little charge to fall asleep, so I could get the book off of the bookshelf and turn to the page where I left off. With a fresh bowl of Lays and a cold Pepsi, it was time to catch up with the adventures of Neely, Jennifer, and Anne. I cleverly memorized my page number instead of dog earring (criminal!) the spot where I left off. And I knew that I was waaayyyy to young to be caught pilfering this yummy story! When car lights hit the driveway, it was my signal to close the book and jam it back onto the bookshelf. It was hard to believe that I was actually being paid a buck and hour to enjoy this tale. If that job was available today, I'd take it in a hot, sparkly minute!

The story mixes adventure, glamour, stardom and tragedy in a way that was unimaginable for me. Admittedly, it was only after I read it somewhere, did I realize that the 'dolls' referenced were actually pills and not just a name for the three girls. Also it was said that the book was labeled 'trashy', something I did not notice at the time. I did not see the movie that was filmed in 1967 until many years later, when I was fascinated with the Manson murders, Sharon Tate, being one of the stars in the movie. Sharon was gorgeous and I studied her every move. Horrifically, her life ended as tragically as it did in the movie.

Today, I re watched the movie and I almost wish I hadn't. It's most definitely a case where the book is better that the movie. As usual. I did enjoy some of the glamour with the period hair and clothes. But the plot? Well, it was way more believable when it was left to my imagination. It was kinda campy and totally contrived. Not exactly the trip down memory lane that I had envisioned.

Next time, I think I'll just pass on the idea of an old experience being the same, today. What we have built up in our heads can only disappoint in the re-run.

Tell me Dolls, do you agree?

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I should read this book. I actually have a copy of it.

the walking man said...

Time and perception mixed with maturity will always lead to a wonder as to why something that was all sparkly and glittery now is just a tarnished time killers.

and Yes I read it too at about the same time but it meant little to me then and even less now.

jodi said...

Charles-You may be the first man to do so! Mark- your assessment is perfect. C'mon, a little fluff won't hurt ya! Thanks you two for commenting this week. I realize it was totally a 'J'ish subject. Rotsa Rove, xo