Sunday, May 6, 2012

Chihuahua...

Belatedly, happy Cinco De mayo, or as Lola and Jaco kitties say, "Synca de Meow"!

I can't help but get a little teary this morning and no, It's not my slight tequila hangover from the celebration with my party posse!

 Starting oh, well, forever, I have been unable to watch the commercials about animal cruelty, featuring neglected animals.  When I hear, 'I will Remember You" I simply must turn or walk away from the horrific sights coming up.  What kind of sick, twisted M-Effer could ever do that to an innocent, helpless animal.  As humans, our capacity for inhumane and unspeakable acts against animals, are probably our worst faults of all. 

Last week while driving to Detroit, I spotted a dog that looked just like Mickey standing, confused on a busy exit ramp.  Friend Kristen whipped out her phone and called Detroit Dog Rescue and gave them the location of the pup.  Hopefully he will be rescued, as his owner, no doubt, probably cares not a whit for this underfed, lost dog.  And buying pet food yesterday, I pet all the kitties up for adoption and pray that someone will please give them a good forever home.

On facebook, my cousin remarked that a full month after the loss of her beloved Daisy,  she still thinks of and misses her everyday.  And I tear up with the memories of my past pets.  There is nothing much harder than losing a pet. Then I read that a dog was found in Detroit in a garbage bag, but was rescued and doing much better. 

I wonder if owning pets should require a serious background check.  Mental stability and income ( just to be able to feed and provide medical care, etc.), would be carefully considered.  Money would be charged just to help fund Detroit Dog Rescue.  Then occasionally a random spot check would ensure that the pet is being treated lovingly.  And if the situation is less than right, the pet is confiscated and a hefty fine is assessed.  Side bar: I also think people should require at least that much scrutiny before allowing a baby to have a child. Sorry, I will wait for the name calling to begin. I expect it, but still can't change how I feel.

As Lola rests comfortably next to me on a chair, and Mickey and Jaco mill about fed and healthy, it is unconscionable to me that I would ever neglect them.  Trusting eyes and wagging tails are one of the most special relationships you can ever have.  All love to my little darlings! xo

P.S. Two spectacular ladies are celebrating birthdays.  A very special Birthday wish to my dearest Cheryl and gorgeous dollfriend, Michelle (Michelle's Spell) Girls, you just keep gettin' better. xo

5 comments:

the walking man said...

Not going to call you any names or disparage how you feel. You have the right to feel what you feel.

Call me jaded Jodi but if I don't get all misty eyed over the fucked up shit happening to the children of Detroit and environs, I don't think I have the capacity to tear up at a commercial begging money to feed abandoned animals. I do not equate human qualities to animals, sad eyed commercials piss me off for their attempt at manipulation more than anything else. How much of that419 per month per donor goes to executive salaries and how is it people are more willing to care for an animal than a child?

I take care of my own livestock and that's enough.

Charles Gramlich said...

I know. I can't watch those commercials either. I really don't like humans very much

rosegarden said...

I still miss our beloved rusty all the time as does his companion Dixie!!! He was the best dog. I hate those commercials. I cry everytime. I am still bewildered when I hear of pet abuse on the news. I just don't get it. Give the pets a hug for me!!!

jodi said...

Mark, you ARE a little jaded. My love for animals does not diminish my care for humans. I will donate to the Humane Society as long as I can. Abuse is not the animals fault and their innocence will always break my heart. Charles-I'm with you. Humans piss me off. Rosegarden-Rusty was the cutest puppy ever! Animal cruelty is so freak'n incomrehensible-they only live to love and be loved. I will surely give the pets your love. xo

Erik Donald France said...

Agreed 100%. There's always a correlation between animal cruelty and psychopaths, an early indicator. I feel similarly about when people torture prisoners or anyone not in a position or able to defend themselves. True evil, either in essence or in action.

Some psycho-asshole(s) killed a rare white buffalo less than one year old in Texas recently, and her mother, apparently for their hides. There's a $50,000 plus reward out now.