Monday, June 11, 2012

Hanky Panky...

On Saturday I attended a barbecue birthday party feting a friend who turned 60.  In a past post I commented on the speedy passage of time and not to beleaguer a point, but here it goes again.  There was a time when I thought 60 years old was one foot in the grave.  I supposed that you had done all your living by then, and if you hadn't-you best get busy.  I am embarrassed to say this next part.  When I was about 30, I had a dear friend pass due to breast cancer.  She had just turned 50.  I loved her and was very, very sad.  At the time, I took comfort in the fact that at least she had had a full life.  Incredulously now, I re-mourn her, as I realize how very quickly her life was cut short.  It's all a matter of perspective.  And real life experience as I know that personally, I am nowhere near done living.  And she wasn't either.  Terminal cancer is so brutal that I think it makes you just want to go to sleep for relief of pain.  As I shake my head at my ignorance, I promise to learn and consider my perspective with a little more care.

On another, totally unrelated thought-my son recommended a documentary that I watched with great interest.  It is called 'Catfish' and is a true story about a Michigan woman who dupes a photographer and 2 filmmakers thru facebook.   It is an engaging, tale that includes an art angle as well as a love story.  As it is captured on film, you start to realize, with a certain janky feeling that this is NOT going to end well.  Ah yes, the joys of facebook and blind trust.  And totally exposing yourself with utter unchecked vulnerability.  Check it out and let me know what you think.

Till next week, enjoy the gorgeous weather my dolls.  xo

5 comments:

the walking man said...

I was having a conversation related to this with a young woman the other night. Now that 60 is staring me in the face I have looked back and have accomplished all and more than I ever thought I could, was ever taught that I could. Everything after 1999 was simply icing on the cake...and that is about the time when I made my own plans for dying. Having outlived already a score or more of my friends I can say I am long lived already.

I am certain there is more that I could do but little else that I have the desire for.

And finally I do not mourn the dead, no matter how much I cared for them, for as long as they live in someones memory the being they are will not be forgotten.

Charles Gramlich said...

I don't know which of your friends in that picture is 60 but she seems to have aged very well.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Hey Jodi, I referenced "Catfish" some time ago; Here's the link:

http://jrthumbprints.blogspot.com/2011/01/catfish-talk.html

In the end, the whole documentary may have been staged; the jury's still out on that one.

rosegarden said...

It Has been 20 years since I lost my dad. I Have now raised 2 children that did not know their grandfather. he was only 57. It so does put things into perspective. What seems so far away when we were young catches up to us as we move through life. Hope you had a wonderful time at the party!! Looks like a lot of fun!!

jodi said...

Mark, we have much the same feelings about dying. I find it a comfort to accept without fear. xo
Charles-Ya big nut! Mandy, Me and Kara were NOT the birthday boy. J.R.-I gotta look up your post. Now, can you teach me to run? I suck at it!! Rosegarden-Dad was only 57? Yikes, that's way too young. We had a ball at the bash! Be cool my dears, it's hot out there! xo