Sunday, June 3, 2012

Holding out for a Hero..

I recently overheard someone speaking of a person who was his hero.  Dipping into that conversation had me wondering about hero's and hero status.  Do I have a hero? 

 I have many people that I admire, but a hero?   I'm not sure.  Hero..Champion..Exemplary person.  I still don't know.. I admire my Grandparents and parents for well, just doing what they do.  I could and can always count on them.  The doctor who finally diagnosed my blood disorder was important to me, but maybe he just read my blood work carefully.  I don't think that counts, tho.  People who have suffered and endured serious illnesses are a kind of hero, I guess, or maybe they are just very brave.  Sports figures?  Nah, they are just really good athletes.  I have a couple of favorite teachers, but maybe they were just doing their jobs well and keeping me amused was just a bonus.  Jesus Christ certainly fits the bill with all areas of suffering, love and sacrifice covered.  Mary, his mother, has always been my favorite to pray to for her unflagging faith.  But still, that's not really what I'm looking for. 

There have been many songs written about hero's and still I cannot immediately call one to mind that fits the bill.  This is a puzzlement to me because I would like to have someone qualify for this role.  To not be able to put my finger on a hero seems complacent of me.  Still, I'm stuck.  Help me out on this one, dear readers.  Tell me if you have a hero and what qualifies this for you.  With your input, maybe I can get wrapped around this idea.  P.S. are faithful readers, you DO qualify in my book as people who have blessed me with support and humor.  And you know how much that means to me. xoxo

7 comments:

the walking man said...

Any person who stands up and faces the wrong of humanity but still supports the good is a hero to me. Especially them who do it and never know they are standing up against the accepted tide, they just stand because it is how they are.

Charles Gramlich said...

I don't really have 'human' heroes because humanity is so flawed. Lana is pretty close, though.

Cheryl said...

I guess my heros are those people who go out of their way to help others without expecting anything in return.

Erik Donald France said...

Jodi, I think you've got it well-covered. Your questions and musings are their own best answers.

Easier to think about now might be "role models."

Mona said...

I have no human hero either. And I haven't met God yet...

rosegarden said...

A hero to me is someone who has the courage to do something that I could not do. Bravery in the sight of danger, courage to do the right thing and generousity. all so important. I was at the DIA with Sarah and we viewed this huge and beautiful paitning of the Last Supper. That puts things into perspective about those who truly were heros!!

jodi said...

Mark, I like that. It adds a bit of humbleness to it which is imperative. Charles-yes Miss Lana is a hero and I admire her grit in the face of her journey. Cheryl, my dear, YOU are the definition of hero in that aspect. I love your giving spirit and strive to be more like you. x Erik-you are right about the role model thing. I guess I thought writing about a hero would help me sort it out more, but it really didn't! Mona, I have missed you so much! So happy to see you back. Hope you are finding some joy in your days. Rose-I love the DIA pic too! Your last sentance is spot on, girl! xo All of you take care. I lubs ja! xo