Monday, July 9, 2012

Don't Stop Believin'

Today we celebrate my 'little sister's' eighth birthday.  And tomorrow we 'celebrate' mine.  Guess who's more excited?  As if there could ever be any doubt.  I stopped honoring myself years ago when I had to convince myself that age is just a number.  Yeah, sure, a big ugly one.  Cold Stone Creamery Red Velvet cake with Cake Batter flavored ice cream does help to ease the pain.  On my day, I will choose wine-no shock to anyone!

 However, what's better than being eight and full of joy at your day of special treatment.  I can remember as a child practically counting the days with July being my favorite month.  First it was the fourth of July and then the week after was my day.  Two family barbeque's in one week with cake or strawberry pie to boot.  And the timing of a July day of birth insures that the presents are equally spread out, more or less.  Ah, such a thing....

It's been almost a year since Makayla and I met acquaintance, and I have to say, it's been a great one.  The year with all of it's celebrations seem much newer and fresher when seen through her eyes.  My old jaded self gets a much needed shot of wonder.  Kids have that power.  Also worth note, Makayla got a perfect last marking period card of 10 A's.  For this we are very proud! 

If you, or anyone you know are considering the Big Brother/Big Sister program, I urge you not to hesitate.  The commitment is minimal and so so worth it.  Love to all of you and Happy Birthday, my little sister. xoxo



8 comments:

the walking man said...

That honest, no guile smile, alone makes the effort worth the trip. I was at Krogers 13 mile yesterday...they have plenty of wine on discount table right now!!

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm glad it is going well. You are doing something wonderful.

Anonymous said...

OMG she is adorable! All A's deserves a girl's day of nails (ones made for little girl fingers, only the left hand so she can handle the ice cream with the right LOL),ice cream and a trip to the park! Jodi can you believe it's that time of year again! Well you are just as fabulous as ever. Happy B day and many more! Love Ya

Cheryl said...

She is so precious. Some day when I have more time in my life, I would love to be a Big Sister!

Erik Donald France said...

Fantastic ~! And a 2nd migratory happy b-day, Jodi, hope you had a velvety fun one~!

JR's Thumbprints said...

I just spent two weeks with my Swedish nieces and nephew; so I know all too well about the power of kids. Happy Belated B-Days!!!

rosegarden said...

so glad you had a wonderful first year with your little sister!!! It is a wonderful thing you are doing and the big smile on her face is the proof!!! Hope you had a wonderful birthday and a few glasses of vino to celebrate!!! Looking forward to getting together!!

jodi said...

Mark, She is SO guileless-you nailed that one perfectly! Charles-It's totally my pleasure! Jeano-Thanks for all u do, my dear Jeanne! Cheryl-U would be the BEST!! Erik-Lord, don't you know it! Wish I could tip one with you! J.R.-Let's get together soon-I want to see your pics! Rose-Thanks for the vino, babe. C u soon! To all of you, thanks for the wishes and lets plunge into another wonderful year! xoxo