Monday, November 4, 2013

Wake me Up...

 
It was an initiation to 'Hatteras life' that forced me into trolling around the docks in pirate garb weeks ahead of Halloween.  I think I passed the test.

This week we are being forced to adjust to 'daylight saving time'.  On Saturday night-in case you are not familiar-we turned our clocks back one hour.  I admit to being totally confounded as to the reason this makes sense.  I did love getting one extra hour of sleep, but I feel like it takes me a good week or so to truly adjust.  I do not like changing all the clocks in the house and have even been known to just leave 'em till spring when they right themselves.

  I woke up Sunday morning confused-even more than usual-and had to check my iPhone to clarify the true time.  I remember as kids, being late for church (oh darn!) without any technology to help us out.  We would try to stifle our glee at least until my Mom pulled out of the parking lot, her with a furrowed brow and us planning what to do with our unanticipated bonus hour.

  I realize we are supposed to be saving energy, but I really don't see how.  I seem to have the lights and telly on even more as I have trouble go to sleep but then curiously waking up an hour earlier.  Our waking hours will still be filled with the activities we were doing before the change.  Are we saving energy really, or just going along with an outdated plan?  I hated going to school in the dark and it just seems more dangerous than ever to send children walking or meeting a bus.  Maybe it's just another was of giving us winter worn Michiganders something else to look forward to when we can finally 'spring forward'. 

 Should this practice be done away with or do we have to keep doing it just because we always have?  Let me know what you think.. Happy November!  xo 

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Yeah, I rather wish we'd just leave the time alone.

the walking man said...

Rather than change the clocks if child safety is the issue why not change the time they start or end school?

jodi said...

Charles-It makes me feel like sleeping at 6 p.m.! Mark-Now there's an idea. It would be much safer and the poor kids wouldn't have to feel like vampires! Have a great week you two. xo