Monday, July 21, 2014

Stop Thinking About It...

I think most of us has a story of a 'celebrity' or 'personality'.  Well, I'm no different and with the death of Tommy Ramone last week, it's high time I trotted out this little nugget.

As I remember it, it was a sunny day in late fall.  You know the kind- cold but sunny with every breath smelling that crisp leaf smell.  The year was approximately 1999.  I was busy doing hair at a salon in Alpena.  The door blew open and I looked up from the desk to see a tall, skinny, black clad, sunglass wearing, long haired dude stroll in.  'Can I get a haircut'?  Absolutely I told him, and walked him back to the shampoo bowl.  He had to duck to clear the archway.  'Sorry my hair looks like hell, but I've been busy and haven't had time to get it cut'.  Not a problem-it's what I do.

 When I asked him what he had in mind, he told me to just go for it.  I gave him a trim and gobbed a massive amount of mousse in, before having him flip over for the blow dry.  I then teased and hairsprayed the hell out of this huge hair.  I whipped off his cape and he preened in the mirror and put his sunglasses back on.  Just then, the door opened again and three more black clad dudes walked in.  "What the hell is taking so long?"   "Dude, the hair rocks!" " Hey Joe, ask her if she wants to see the bus!"

As you can guess, I had cut and styled the hair of Joey Ramone.  No formal introductions were made but I was told they were heading to the U.P. for a special gig.  I pocketed a generous tip and told them to stop back if they were ever in the area again.

And that's it.  Oh, there may have been a vague offer about a hairdresser for the tour, but I don't remember who offered-Joey or me!  They walked out, got into their bus and I never saw them again.  But it was fun and I can say that I met the Ramones and had a very 'hands on' encounter with one.  R.I.P. Joey, Dee Dee,  Johnny and Tommy.  xo

 Also R.I.P to James Garner.  As Brett Maverick, I had a dizzying crush on him.  xo

3 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

That is a fantastic vignette, Jodi ~ all right ~!

Love the Ramones ~ the Few, the Proud ~ huzzah ~!

(also liked James Garner)

the walking man said...

Life gets interesting at the least expected moment eh kiddo/

jodi said...

Charles-it WAS cool and so was I! I didn't ask for an autograph or anything. Erik-Cool dudes for sure! Mark-true dat, brotha! It was so very random! Have a wonderful week my darlin's! xoxo