Monday, July 28, 2014

LeFreak...


At the tail end of a perfectly wonderful weekend, I had to face some of my worst fears.  Really, right out of nowhere, I got the beJesus scared out of me.  Twice.  Do tell, Jodi?  Yes, I think I will!

A family weekend at the beach house started out innocently enough with barbequed ribs and bonfire.  Things got slightly dicey when the disco dancing took a turn for the worse and had some of us nearly and literally, 'Burn Baby Burn'(ing) as such gyrations got too close to the flames.  However, unscathed, we avoided third degree burns over 90% of our bodies..

A friends daughter's grad party found us dancing again on Saturday night at no less of a 'fevered' pitch.  Someone sat in, and broke a chair, but the fall seemed to be tempered by the effects of alcohol leaving said reveler intact.  The rain held off, and once again a good time was had by all.

So when does this weekend take a turn for the worse, you ask?  Well, on Sunday night a terrible thunderstorm moved in with high winds.  I do not mind snow or heat, but I HATE and am petrified of high wind.  I had visions of our little beach house being blown in the lake.  Blessedly, with a shaking Mickey by my side, things seemed to let up a little.  Later, as I'm walking to the kitchen, I spy a sugar snap pea on the floor under the bar where I had been eating them earlier.  As I stooped to pick up the pea, it MOVED in my hand.  Yes, the girl who doesn't mind spiders and snakes, but hates worms, has just palmed a giant, slimy slug!  It was unbelievable gross and most certainly deaf and comatose as I screamed and hurled it back down to the floor.  Randy rescued me and Mickey stopped shaking long enough to at least seem concerned.

High wind and worm-like things.  This calls for a large glass of wine and hope that I will not have a nightmare involving being blown into a slug filled garden-a most tortuous fate! 

As I drifted off to sleep, I kept repeating; unicorns, pink ponies, puppies and kitties, butterfly's, babies and cotton candy...bubbles..rainbows..etc.

What are your fears and phobias?  C'mon, fess up.  Inquiring minds want to know! xo

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh sissy, I actually pictured you slamming that slimmy worm back to the ground (I know I would). Snakes and spiders are among my top fears for sure. Wish I had thought to offer some of my lavender oil for you to apply to Mickey for his shakes... it worked for Ms. Mia! Will miss not seeing you until late August :(

Charles Gramlich said...

High wind and worms. I could write a horror story with those elements!

the walking man said...

Straight? No fears, no phobias--maybe that's why my life is boring of late.

Erik Donald France said...

"And the wind begin to howl . . ."

Rickety structures combined with great heights make me anxious of plunging ~ especially in high wind.

Rattlesnakes make me freeze up in time for a stealthy retreat, while also carrying a stick, on rocky hikes.

People that burn books in piles, or behead people.

People that drop bombs/rockets/shells on other people or detonate them or fire them off randomly in crowds.

People that mistreat prisoners of any kind.

The Plague (any kind that's deadly).

Aggressively psychopathic drivers.

jodi said...

Sissy, Mickey and I BOTH need the lavender oil! Can't wait to see you, too! xo Charles-that could be a doozy especially if the wind throws the damn worms around! Mark-with that new grandson, life could never be boring! Erik-Wow, that is a very impressive list! All horrific in their own capacity, but horrible to consider all at once! And I hate mentally unstable drivers. Smiles to all of you, today. You are simply the best! xoxo