Monday, November 24, 2014

A Little Bit Stronger...

On this week approaching Thanksgiving, I was going to list 10 things I am thankful for.  However, it became too cliched, and 5 things seem to be enough without being too redundant.

#5   Firstly, I am thankful for family and friends that I can count on to get me thru what is the
       hardest time of my life.  Thank you for your unending love and support and understanding when        I have to blink back tears.  The cards, calls, and kind words are balms to my soul, and I cannot
       express the importance and joy you bring me.  I am touched and you have made me a better                and more compassionate person thru your actions.  What a delightful and unexpected lesson.  XO
#4   The comfort of my home, car, food and security that allows me to take for granted how very
       lucky I am.
#3   My health.  I work hard at staying strong and the endorphins help me to forge on.
#2   The freedom to live, love, worship and speak my mind in the way that I choose.  (You know I
       ALWAYS have to speak my mind-and sometimes even have to have the last word!)  Don't hate-
       it's genetic!!
#1   The love of God,  my husband and pets who try their best to keep me loved, warm and sane.
       Without  y'all, I would surely crack.  You are the best and I love you all deeply.
#0  Wait!  There's a zero??   For hot showers, flannel pajamas, good vodka, big cookies, books-how
       could I forget my favorite escape?, lifesaving coffee,  good linens, garlic, down comforters,                scented candles, dark chocolate and automatic car starters-the gravy on my potatoes and icing on
       my cupcakes.  (red velvet, please!)

As I struggle thru many grey days, I have to remind myself that life is good.  Challenging, but good.
We question, but do not get to know all the answers.  The mystery of life is such.  So we remember, and wipe away the tears.  Cherish all the good things and be thankful for what you have, while you have them.

And lastly...Dane.  I am thankful that I had him for 31 years.  As I go thru this first holiday season without him,  I am trying to be happy that I was able to know and love him.  He was and is the best gift ever and I am forever changed by his life and his death.  I pray for grace to accept this.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and cherish every breath you take.  xo

6 comments:

the walking man said...

Jodi
that you can express gratitude at all is a sign that you are healing from that great rupture in your life with Danes moving along.

UHHH that #4 bullshit it ain't genetic, it's GENDERetic.

Charles Gramlich said...

Challenging but good. Yes indeed. I have to remember that myself

Cheryl said...

Sissy, Walking Man is right... you are healing if you can find the good in all this bad. It's one day at a time and of course the first year without our loved ones is always the hardest year. Concentrate more on what you had with Dane in those 31 years and less on what you lost (if that is possible) and it might help to get you through this very difficult time of the year. He is still with you in your heart, in your soul and in your memories forever just as he is in mine. Love you to the moon and back! xoxoxo

the walking man said...

OH WAIT I MEANT #2 not 4.

Erik Donald France said...

A salute, Jodi ~!

jodi said...

Mark, I'm trying. What's this Genderetic yu speak of?? Charles-It's tough, isn't it? Sissy-:( xo Mark-I know what you meant! Erik-right back at you, Babe! xo Stay warm y'all! xo