Monday, December 15, 2014

Baby, it's You...

So when did pregnant women become sooooo  gorgeous?  Dollfriend, Lauren, was ever the picture of a radiant expecting mother when I attended her shower this fall.  Confident with clear, glowing skin, shiny, glossy hair and a body that looked normal, other than what looked to be a small basketball tucked under her cute dress.  A truly, serene and beautiful Madonna.

It probably won't surprise anyone that that was NOT the case with me.  At eighteen days overdue, I was a miserable witch-and that's being generous.  Very generous.  My big perm was frizzy, (hey, it was the eighties!),  my ankles were elephantine, and we won't discuss my maternity wear.  During the hottest June ever, my swollen bod was in a bikini or a t-shirt with the garden hose over my head.  And I could have cared less who saw this vision.

 We did not have air conditioning-hence the overheated whale like body paired with the unfortunate coif. I protested smocked, pastel maternity wear-incredulous at this little insult to injury. Are ya kiddin' me?   Mommies today would never suffer the humiliation of EIGHTEEN days overdue, but at the time, ultra sounds were not insurance covered except in emergency situations.  "That baby will be born when it's ready" were the sage words from my Doc.  (yeah, bite me!)  I was practically a menace to the neighborhood wandering around half naked,  totally overripe, muttering at anyone who crossed me or marveled at my 'doo'.  Few escaped the wrath of my hose.  With no idea when I was actually going to birth this little babe,  I was stripped of all possible dignity.  Folks-it was not pretty.   Let's face it, the science, nutrition, and fashion are waaaaaaaay better today. 

Last night friends, Tom and Kara had the ever trendy 'Baby Gender Reveal Party' and announced to the world that their firstborn would be a girl.  Hello Kitty!!  Buds Brian and Kelly are sharing this weekend, the sex of their little peanut. xo  Cousins Kristi Jo and Kevin  expecting a girl this spring.  I am very excited and happy for them all.  Girls rule!

But, coolest of cool..... Lauren and Tom welcomed little Tom Harley Sawyer on 12-13-14!  What a birthday!!   Congrats you two as you walk thru the door to the most incredible experience life has to offer.  Enjoy every second of baby Harley-he's truly the best of both of you.  WARNING: I will kiss his cheeks off when I see him.!  Congrats again. xoxo

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Hurray. Congrats to all!

the walking man said...

Yep baby's once they come are cool. BUT *shrug* my belly has looked like that for 5 decades. i just have no fashion sense.

Cheryl said...

Oh sissy, I remember the horrible maternity clothes of the 80s... whoever designed that stuff should have been shot! And alas, I had the big 80s hair to go along with both of my pregnancies as well. I was not a pretty sight with either of my pregnancies and looked pretty much like a beached whale both times :( But once you hold that bundle of joy, it's all worth it! Love ya!

jodi said...

Charles-makes me feel like an old lady! Mark-Awwwww, you are just a big, old kid at heart. xo Sissy, Can't wait till YOU are a Glamma! xo