Monday, August 3, 2015

28 Thousand Days...

On a billboard of a building on Woodward Avenue there is a large chalkboard with 91 lines.  The words, "Before I die..." and a basket of pastel chalk beckons you to consider.

Much harder to do than a bucket 'list' that allows you many choices.  This form of street art would like you to fill in just one line.

So I ponder-what do I want to do before I die? 

Travel?  I've done a little, but want to see Europe in the worst kind of way.  Norway, my ancestral home is of great interest to me.  But I'm a homebody at heart, so I don't think that's my number one aspiration. 

Not being a great cook, I have always wanted to make a decent lasagna.  Recently I came across a stove top one that was easy enough for me to handle.  I've made it three times and I think I've nailed it.  So, no.  No domestic endeavors.  The lasagna was my tasty nirvana!

Writing something meaningful would be very cool; however, as I approach 500 blog essays, I think that the goal is met as best as I can meet it.

Winning a Grammy is completely out of the question due to the fact that I am virtually tone deaf.  For real.  I will never rock it out or lounge on a piano in a hot dress and croon a smoky ballad.  Grrrrrr-never gonna happen.  Be thankful for that one, peeps.  Which leads me in to the instrumental part of the program.  I want to slap that bass just like Dane did!  My buddy Tim taught me a few things about a djembe and I participated in a few drum circles.  That's all I got.

I have no illusions of curing mental illness, world hunger, or animal abuse.  I do what I can but it will never be enough.

My goal of reading the classics is stalled while I dig into biographies and summer beach reads.

I keep falling back on the one thing I can actually do.  Contentment and peace of mind is within my grasp.  I will continue to use all of the above endeavors as well as meditation to get there.  I feel it will be a life long pursuit as I feel that it is a moving target for me.

Before I die I will be utterly content and peaceful.

How about you?  What will you do?  xo

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Contentment and peace of mind are things I've always craved but unfortunately never seem to get as an adult.

the walking man said...

I left your contentment answers earlier today.

Before i die I want to load, aim and fire a howitzer dropping a shell right in the middle of Disney by the River. I am tired of all my taxes being spent downtown instead of my neighborhood--I bet a cop would come if that ever happened.

jodi said...

Charles-it's a process, but totally worth the effort. Keep workin' on it! Mark-good Lord...Have a great week-or at least try to, you too!