Monday, April 25, 2016

Sometimes it Snows in April...

Sigh.... It was some very sad news this week for me upon hearing the news of Prince's passing.  I realize I never met him, but we go waaaayyyyy back.

I started when he started somewhere around 1980, but really picked up steam in about 1983.  I remember that time being sort of a rebirth for me personally and Prince and Madonna were around to tell me that it was okay to express yourself and even (gasp!) be sexy.  And the three of us are all exactly the same age!  When we got our first real disco in Alpena and the words, "dearly beloved" came through the speakers, the dance floor would fill up with participants.  I also used "Let's go Crazy" as the cardio portion of my class when I taught at the gym.  I was delighted to find a vintage raspberry beret at the local Salvation Army, and wore it thinking I had amazing Prince style.  I watched that now cult classic "Purple Rain" over and over-amazed by Prince's riveting performance.  Later when I got my license to do hair, I cut many men and women's hair to match Prince's and his purple pants ruffled shirts were perfect and favored Halloween costumes.  I joke that my purplish hues house is prepared in cased he ever wanted to drop by.  My favorite lip gloss is called, "Sexy Mother Pucker!"

When I finally got to see him perform live in 2004, he did not disappoint.  Prince gave us all a knock out show. He was cheeky, sexy, funny and AMAZING.  He danced, winked, and made me love him even more. 

But love him?  I never even met him.  But Prince was the guy who had the secret that you wanted to have whispered in your ear.  He represented freedom, style and yes, sex to me at a time when I needed to believe it.  I will continue to play his music with thoughts of those time frames.  For that, I love him and thank him.

 I hope he rests in purple sweetness forever.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxooxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

A talented fellow

jodi said...

Charles-Yes, he was. Like Madonna, you don't have to like them-but you can't ignore them! Have a great week and hello to Ms. Lana! xo

Erik Donald France said...

Prince impressed me immediately. One of the first cd's I got was '1999,' and I still love it. When I helped one of my sisters move (back) to the Twin Cities, I made sure to check out the First Avenue club, right before Purple Rain came out. It was snowing, I had to ditch the car part of the time, but fun to do.

Saw him once, long superb show, in North Carolina.

I like Madonna but admittedly, did not take her fork in the road music wise ;-> Debbie Harry was more my type. (I also got to see Blondie for the first time, in a pretty small club, just a few years ago)

Viva Prince! Memory links him to certain dates & high jinx . . .