Monday, August 1, 2016

Where you Lead...

Throw back pic from 2000, when I celebrated the Ernest Hemingway Festival in Key West.  I went to Ernest book readings, watched the 'running of the bulls', ate at Blue Heaven where there is the boxing ring that he sparred in, and most of all partied like a bearded, old rock star writer at Sloppy Joe's.  It's pretty amazing to stroll into Sloppy's at noon and find yourself surrounded by 300 or so Ernie look a likes posturing for the big title.  I had a blast and even did a couple of shots with the boys.

So what am I reading this summer?  As usual, I am all over the map.  These sultry days just find me lazy as a cut dog, reading everything in sight.  My latest reads are as follows:

Lust & Wonder by Augusten Burroughs...because I love his honesty and humor and have read everything he has ever written.  It was spot on as usual.
Basquait-A Quick Killing in Art by Phoebe Hoban....because I am interested in his art and its' process. I get it a little better now.
Here's to Us by Elin Hilderbrand....because it's her 17th beach read and well, I read it at the beach.  Her descriptions of Nantucket and the food that is enjoyed there is mouthwatering.  Almost makes me want to cook.  Almost...
Slash by Slash with Anthony Bozza....because I am attracted to this sexy badass!  LOVE
First Comes Love by Emily Griffin....Well written chick lit.  7 NY Times bestsellers and I've devoured them all!
The Girls by Emma Cline-A story of a Manson-like cult.  Read it!
Greetings from Utopia Park- surviving a transcendent childhood by Claire Hoffman..another bio with the focus on the Maharishi cult.  Amazing and enlightening.
Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty...In her 6th bestseller, I was just as fascinated as I knew I would be.  Her twists fool me every time.  I will always anxiously await her next book.

So, that's it.  I leave for the Keys for Lobster Season on Wednesday and plan to read at least 3 more stories in the hot sun.  I'll even be reading as I melt the butter!  Fresh lobster are yummy!



4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I read slash's book recently. Pretty good.

the walking man said...

Have a good time in your renovated spot. How long you gone for?

jodi said...

Hey Mark, just till next Wednesday!

jodi said...

Charles-He's one BADASS! Mark-I miss not having a project! Ready to come home. xo