Monday, February 13, 2017

Midnight at the Oasis....(2017)

Things are getting back to normal here in Michigan, after a wonderful vacation in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.  My sleep pattern is not that of an infant anymore-my days and nights are back on track.  After staying in the tallest hotel in the world and visiting the top of the Burj Kalifa, I finally have my head out of the clouds.  My coffee was delicious this morning; even though it did NOT have real gold in it as it does at the Royal Palace in Abu Dabi. The next time I fly, it'll be back to peanuts and being charged for my vino, instead of flowing booze and gourmet menus.  I know the next voyage will be on a regular plane that will be sorely lacking showers and beds.  That shizz is nuts!   Good old Mickey is the main critter here, and he does not have a hump on his back.  (There is a small worrisome lump on his neck however; but that's another vet appointment.  It IS NOT A TOOMAH-spoken like a California governor!)  I'm quite sure that when I go to the beach next month, there will not be two (yes, two) maids available in case I drop a napkin or need to refresh my SPF!  I will soldier on alone!  If Rocco gets me into speeding trouble, I can expect to see a regular old black and white pulling me over-not a Dubai copster in a Maserati or Bugatti.  On my next trip to the mall I will not to expect to see a real live ski resort with penguins strolling about or a gigantic 2 story aquarium with total sea life swimming about.  There probably will not be young arab men buying chunks of gold from a vending machine...That's okay-I hate malls anyways!  Make no mistake-these experiences were totally cool and I would not trade the memories for anything.  I loved my Dubai experience and all that I did and learned. 
But...I will drink my wine freely and not pay 20.00 a glass for it!  I will not cover my hair in church.  I will show off my old lady biceps as well as my knees if I so choose, maybe while swearing like a sailor.  I will not eat sitting on the floor with no silverware or napkins.  (I was HONORED to do it as custom deemed though!)  I will clean up my own messes and cook my own food.  I will try to enjoy our weather and be thankful that it is not 110 degrees.  The middle east is breathtaking and opulent, but as usual-there's no place like home!  Thanks to Lisa and Steve for including me in this holiday.  And for my Arab family:  Eric, Honna, Sedra, Humaid, Mosa, and Theab..Thank you and you old Auntie loves you. xoxo

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Glad you are back in the good ole United States but sounds like an amazing experience! Love ya!

Charles Gramlich said...

a once in a lifetime experience. Heck of a lot of fun but maybe you don't need to do it again. :)

jodi said...

Sissy-Dubai was a trip of a lifetime. Tell you all about it when I see ya! xo
Charles-It most certainly was! I would visit my family often if it just wasn't so far! I loved the experience-a real eye opener and education! Hope you are feeling better, Charles.

Erik Donald France said...

Cool, Jodi ~ wowza ~ love it ~ !

Julie LaFleche said...

Hey Jodi, would love to hear about your trip, maybe you could write up something about it and put it on your blog.......in your spare time. 😉