Monday, November 13, 2017

The Plan...

Has anyone read any good books lately?  With the turn of the weather plus my pneumonia diagnosis last week, I've been reading and resting like crazy. 

I saw that a favorite story of mine has now been made into a movie.  The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls is the true story of a family struggling to survive with a very optimistic view of things that would take most of us (me included!) to the edge.  I have the story on my ipad, so I decided to reread it-something I don't usually do.  The wry humor and irony of a tale told by a young girl is inspiring and out and out funny.  I seem to be attracted to stories of personal triumph.  I loved it again and can't wait to see the movie which inevitably won't be as good as the book.  I now have moved on to another one of Jeanette Walls books, which is my modus operandi.  Both Dane and I would do that thing where we would binge read a certain author or watch an actor or directors complete works.  Do you do that, too?

It's been a pretty quiet week here at the ranch while I hack my brains out and gobble antibiotics and Mucinex.  Books, movies and the fireplace have been my best friends during this down time and I am looking forward to feeling normal again.  (I know, 'normal' being a relative term!)

Speaking of friends-as Hunting Widow Week approaches, I gotta get hale and hardy cuz I can't be tardy to hook up with my Dollfriend(s) this weekend.  It's our annual girl time.  There will be wine, good food and surely some discussions on what we are reading.  Our hunters speculate that we use this time to talk about them.  As if!  Undoubtedly there will be far more important topics covered, such as a discussion about the latest beauty products and speculation as to whether they will possible change our lives for example.  Maybe even some hot tubbing while doing all the above mentioned. (Hint, hint, Kristin!) 

Gotta work on my health, Babes, the weekend is coming and a girl's gotta have goals! Hug and Kisses-I'm not contagious!
  

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Sorry you are sick. I sure hope you feel better soon

Erik Donald France said...

Hey hey Jodi,

Salud! Hope your recovery is speedy! I've had a low-grade laryngitis ever since the outer bands of Hurricane Harvey hit this area of Texas -- since August! This had quieted my talk if not my writing . . . The latest thing I've been employing is fresh ginger with honey, lemon &c. The ginger adds snap.

Books: I also dig 'The Glass Castle' and beyond that, have scores of books in the pipeline from library discards, a very eclectic mix. Should be done with 'Tom Jones' (1749) -- ranked #5 English language novel of all time by the Guardian. I love it for its language, especially the slang, w/ much that we still use all these years later. "A penny for your thoughts?"

the walking man said...

I could use a hot tub time to clear up this bronchitis. Not being a hunter I should put on my speedo and join ya'll.

jodi said...

Charles-the anti-b's have finally kicked in! What are you reading?
Erik-I am doing the ginger also. I have a goal to get into a classic and sounds like Tom Jones should be on my list. Thanks for the inspiration! Oh, and feel better!
Mark-You should have-that would have been epic! Ya reading anything good?

Happy Thanksgiving my dears. xo