Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Raining in Kyoto...

My nephew has purchased a condo in Slovenia and I scored an invite to join my extended family for vacation.  Slovenia?  I had to look at a map to see where it was even located.  My sister and brother in law's children are travelers and adventurers for sure.  I admit to being interested in the visit but it falls too soon after my Keys holiday.  This same nephew hosted my wonderful time in Dubai.  Eric has always had the wanderlust and I used to get updates from all over the world as he enjoyed traveling.  He speaks 6 (I think) languages and uses his worldly charm to make up for the rest.

I have great interest in learning about other parts of the world and consider myself a sort of 'culture vulture' soaking up the differences and commonality of life.  However, being a staid homebody, I prefer to read or watch travel shows to do this.  Like most people, I love the adventure but had the trip.  Familiarity and comfort top most things for me these days.  And short flights....

I also have this odd thing where I like to imagine living wherever I visit.  Maybe a tall house on the hill in San Francisco..no matter that it is uber expensive.  A beach house on the Outer Banks?  Love it, but too isolated for me long term.  Costa Rica?  Easily 6 months out of the year.   Boston is a strong possibility.   Abu Dhabi?  Too culturally different.  Cape Cod or Maine?  Nah...  Downtown Detroit?  Not yet, but maybe someday. Colorado?  Too late to be a ski bum.  I haven't yet visited Paris, but picture myself with a neck scarf and beret sipping coffee at a café and enjoying a deep chat about art and literature.  Ahhhh, someday mes amis.  Gotta work on my accent!

Summing up this musing-I love to dream and there is no better place for it than the sultry, lazy days here in the Keys.
But like little Dorothy, I contend, 'there's no place like home.'   XO


1 comment:

Erik Donald France said...

To muse is oft better than the actual views . . . But travel has its pleasures, too . . . You got it, Jodi ~ I can dig it!