Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Call out My Name...

Imagine my surprise when Dayna texted me to wish me a Happy Mermaid Day.  Of course there is a 'day' for that I love that she thought of me!  

I have always had the fondness for mermaidia-even before we were unindated with merchandise proclaiming the pop culture icon they have become.  With the combination of beauty, mystery, legend, and romance it's easy for me to indulge in the allure of escapism that their images provide.  And it seems that the world kind of agrees.  I have been gifted with everything from t-shirts to socks, pictures, cards, art, mugs, books and jewelry depicting mermaids.  I even have a large, vintage water feature mermaid in my front yard!  It's fun and I love it.

Back in, say, 1998 I met the artist, Wyland and admired his 'Mermaid' piece.  Years later, it hung in my living room and is now here in the Keys where she seems to be at home.  Last week at an art fair, I got to meet Wyland (again!) and tell him that I bought the piece.  He was gracious and sweet.  And I have been treated to seeing manatees in our harbor that legend says may actually have been mistaken for mermaids.  

I think tonight I may shellabrate with a Mermaid Martini and maybe take a shell-fie or two-not!  
Have mer-fectly great week, stay saucy and be mermazing.  I am fin-ah-lee done with this tail-I think I hear my shellphone ringing.  Love and best fishes from this old mermaid wannabe chick. xo



No comments: