Monday, September 17, 2018

Under the Covers...


I've been to Cape Hatteras, all over the Outer Banks as well as Beaufort and Okracoke Island and have heard our friends describe seeing the wild horses that inhabit various islands in that area.  I found it fascinating that they have lived over 400 years and I just HAD to see these wild beauties, living naturally.  But in all my rattling around, I had never seen them.  Last summer our friend Jeff changed all that.  On a perfect day, we boarded his 'Reel Love' and motored out of Beaufort.  After a bit of touring, we anchored up close to a small island.

And there they were.  As we coasted in, I jumped off the boat and swam/ran to the island.  There were at least 12 horses doing what horses do.  As I approached, they barely took notice of my giddy self.  I slowed down about 15 feet from them so they could realize my intentions.  A mare and her colt allowed me to get a bit closer yet before blowing their lips and slowly walking away.  I was breathless with excitement.  I had finally seen the wild horses-up close and personal!  The horses were much less impressed.

We have been following hurricane Florence and anxiously waited for news from N.C.  With much relief, this morning we learned that our friends were all safe and were now in the process of drying up and digging out.  With the recent hurricane Irma in the Keys, we understand the devastation and all of it's effects. Being without power in a tropical climate is no joke-to say the lease.  And that's just one of the problems to be addressed with fallen trees, flooding and wiped-out bridges.

Today I learned also that my precious horsies have weathered the storm.  I am so happy that they have been spared.  What survivors!  I will be checking on them on our next visit.

Jeff, Lauri, Alex and Jim, our prayers for you have been answered and I don't envy you the horrible rebuilding process.  I trust that you will let us help in any way.  We love you and support you.  XOXO

No comments: