Monday, April 27, 2009

Redneck Woman.....


Spent the weekend up north opening up the cottage and getting back to my roots. No, not the dark ones on my head, but the "where I come from type." Doin' the spring ritual of getting the place ready for another summer and fall of beachy, country fun.
Unlike our rather large city home, the beach house is a mere 440 square feet place. 440 square feet of paradise, it is often called. It can be cleaned in about 2 hours. I find it's small area comfortable and certainly unpretentious. Spit shined, debugged and staple stocked, it's all a go! Made a list for things to bring next weekend of all that I forgot or didn't know I would need.

Now, at home, I would barely walk to the mailbox without mascara, but up north I subscribe to a much less stringent beauty routine. With hair curling naturally (wild) and face shower shiny, (read--no makeup) I raked and burned stuff in the bonfire pit (outside!) while enjoying a beer. At 11:30 ayem. No fine wine in sight! Just to get into the spirit of things. Put the county selection on my ipod and enjoyed the music I rarely listen to anymore. Classic Glen Campbell rocked me. I can get weepy just listening to "Wichita Lineman" to this day. But I digress.

I just love to play in a bonfire and looked forward as a kid to fall, when we built huge leaf fires--a childhood joy that the city does not allow. But in the country, I guess it's okay. Note to self: Add marshmallows, graham crackers and Hershey bars to the grocery list.
Got the 4 wheeler gassed and ready to rock for visits to our friends and rides thru the fields and woods and on the beach. Sorta my up north car. I went to a lovely wedding shower for our friend Erin, and enjoyed Ivan's YUMMY barbecued chicken. Heard he has a brand new calf and lots of new kittens that I will get to meet next weekend. Yay!

We descended on our friend Shawn's bar and were greeted by our local buddies like we were rock stars--and our only hit was, "We Haven't Seen Y'all in Six Months!" But now we are back, so set 'em up and can we get some of that delicious cheese bread, too?

Upon leaving, I noticed that the wind had turned and the night air was almost balmy and the sky was full of stars--pinpoint clear. Every year around this time, I vow to be able to name at least 5 of the uncommon constellations, to gain me some cred some night around the bonfire. One of these fine days.

Although sleeping in is allowed--and even encouraged, I seem to pop up like a crazy weasel eager to start the day. I like to make coffee and stare at the lake. Have seen deer and foxes strolling the beach, and many times, they have seen me too. I love entering the day that way. So much different than the city, where I charge out, mug in hand, playing beat the clock for one appointment or another.

As the weekend winds down and it's time to pack up, I am always happy to resume my "regular life" in the city with it's crazywild pace. But do I enjoy the lazy, slow, country weekends? Four wheelin', beer drinkin', bonfire parties? Hell, yeah!! (that last part is said in a loud voice with my fist pumpin' in the air or accompanied by a 12oz. toast!) xoxo Happy Birthday to my sister, Lisa, who will be enjoying the day at the Tigers game. Have a great one, and Go Tigers! xxoo

9 comments:

the walking man said...

Jodi... So that's what happens "up north." Hmmm maybe I should try it sometime. But cleaning 400 square feet sounds like a lot of chores.

Anonymous said...

J, missing one thing......waiting for the boys to show up with a cooler full of salmon....bbq here i come....yum yum yum......

Bri

Anonymous said...

We missed you guys so much and can't wait for summer! It seems like we have to drive an hour and a half to see you and we only live 20 minutes apart! Love the busy city life!

And Brian, definately bring home more salmon, can't wait!

Kel

Anonymous said...

Jod,

Its your bro in law, Mark, you know the one that really launches the cabins into the summer and the one that ensures the grass isnt knee high for you girls... Guess I was expecting a little mention in this weeks blog entry or perhaps family takes a second seat. Otherwise, the pics and stories are awesome, hope to be a part of some of your future blogs. Mark

Anonymous said...

did paulson get a four wheeler even a woman can operate??? i missed the 440 squ ft last year, dont want to do that again. i hear the fishing is ok too. randy needs the therapy. hehe. go tigers steve

JR's Thumbprints said...

I haven't been to our cabin (smack dab in the middle of the woods) in at least 7 years. I miss chopping wood, building bonfires, and drinking beer; used to be the best place for me to sit and read a book.

Erik Donald France said...

Sounds totally rockin' fun. Happy birthday to your sis,' too!

Loved your descriptions of it all, very palpable ;->

Whitenoise said...

I miss having a cottage but around here it's become a pastime for the rich or the very lucky.

jodi said...

WM-I clean fast and party slowly! Bri-Keep slayin' the salmon-the spring ones are the best! Kels-so happy to see more of you. How r your breastases? MarkMarkMark--brother in law of mine. You know damned well how much I appreciate my partner in "project crimes" and sunday morning coffee! You keep the place perfect and I LOVE it! Steve-Funny, very funny. Mr. P STILL hate women-especially a "woman's libber" aka/one with a brain like me. He can F off! More therapy? Ya gotta be kiddin' me! Getcherass up here sometime. Me and the Rosebud will c u friday. Make it a heavy pour! JR-sounds like you get it. I read ALOT up north, too. Eric- it IS a riot! A very peaceful one! Whitenoise-count us in as one of the lucky ones! xo to all!