Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bad Girls......


I have a bumper sticker on Ruby Dee that proclaims, "Women who behave rarely make history." It suits Ruby perfectly and it has been alluded to that it is my personal credo. No illusions necessary here--I totally own it. Misbehaving a little, makes everything more fun. Just makes the ordinary a little edgier.


The fact that women have historically had to misbehave to be noticed doesn't mean they didn't have fun while they were at it. Take Coco Chanel. Back in the day, she did the wild misdeed of designing pants for women! Gasp. Later when she revealed her bisexuality, her infamy was sealed. Y'all remember Lizzie Borden? We had childhood rhymes about her--very bad indeed. I love the er... balls of Lady Godiva, a personal heroine of mine. Girl had something to say and implored the oldest trick in the book to make 'em notice. Nudity. On a horse. I love it and have always fantasized it as the perfect Halloween (un) costume. Sigh..... Then there is Mae West--surely the one of the bad girls. Totally misbehaving. Openly provocative and suggestive behavior alone has earned her a place in history, with dozens of appropriate quotes gleaned, no doubt, from her vast experience. That's what I call workin' the store! Another favorite being Mrs. Robinson--the ultimate and original "cougar". Anyone who has known me for a minute will know that to this affront, I say, "you go, girl." Cleopatra could be remembered for either her complete spellbinding of Julius Caesar or her death by that evil asp. Either way she never smudged her perfect eyeliner. Belle Starr gets the nod for her fraternizing with Frank and Jesse and made no apologies for her cowboy boots and chaps. Badass. Way cool. And just a little dangerous. Marie Antoinette, poor child, could hardly be blamed for the fall of the empire. Poor child just wanted to eat cake, for goodness sake. But who can forget her many indulgences and mile high hair? Medusa had only her beauty to blame when she was unjustly punished for her affair with Poseidon. We all know how that worked for her. SNAKES!!! Lord love a duck--that's freaky! And pretty memorable. Donna Summer's hit would never have sounded even a little bit remarkable if it had went something like this--toot, toot, awww beep, beep. GOOD girls, talkin' bout the GOOD girls.....not even. What's to talk about? Of course, I could go on and on.

So all you good girls gone bad just remember what our girl, Mae had to say, "It pays to be good--it just doesn't pay much." Welcome home, Rose, my sometimes partner in "misbehaving." xoxo

11 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Right on, right on. I'll add: Charlotte Rampling, Catherine Deneuve. Christina Ricci. Jennifer Jason Leigh. Mary Gaitskill. Anne Sexton. Linda Fiorentino. Simone de Beauvoir. Jane Fonda. Off the top of my head. Ah, Bernardine Dohrn, Rosa Luxemburg, Brigid Berlin, Amy Winehouse, Nico, Edie Sedgwick, Edie Beale, Margaret Sanger, Emmeline Pankhurst, Naomi Wolf, Janis Joplin, Debbie Harry, Chrissie Hynde, Billie Holiday, Edith Piaf -- you are right: bad girls rock!

rosegarden said...

Glad to be back..I miss my partner in crime!!! Let's get back to being just a "little" bad. What's life without a little spice?! Aren't we hot!!!

Charles Gramlich said...

It pays to be good, it just doesn't pay very much is the mantra for our age, for women and men.

Gary G said...

Let's not forget about MADONNA!!!!!!

the walking man said...

...girls will be girls and when they are bad they are very good.

Erik Donald France said...

True about Madonna, but I've always had a huge crush on Debbie Harry, so consider her a sequel of sorts, more powerful but less cool ;->

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey gorgeous,

I agree completely! You're the perfect kind of bad girl -- beautiful picture of the two of you! I love love Mae West. And Janis Joplin -- a great bad girl if there ever was one.

JR's Thumbprints said...

Erik, that's an impressive list. What about Ellen Barkin or Angie Dickinson? Are they bad girl worthy? How about the Dixie Chicks? How about Tanya Harding? Now there's really bad. Or Brittany Spears? Or Sinead O'Connor? (I'm sure the Catholics would agree she's bad).

On a different note: I teach all year round. No real break. Thirty-two contact hours per week with a bunch of medicated window-lickers.

jodi said...

Hey Eric,You nailed so many more of my favorites! I tried to stay with the classics, but I forgot a the true and origianal bad girl--Mary Magdalene! Rose--Yes, we are trouble, but the fun kind! Charles-take time to be "bad" you workaholic! Gary,Gary,Gary, Madonna is and will always be our fav. How about that "Sex" book? She is always pressing butttons and being bad just because she can. And that hottie boy toy! Whoo Hoo! WM-spoken like someone who knows the difference! Eric-Under no circumstances will Madonna ever be second on this blog! You know I am LOYAL! Michelle-I seem to recall the nickname "Bad Tiny!" I know you know your way about that one! ox J.R.--More good ones! As a kid I adored Angie D. and Joey Heatherton. Joey used to do those suggestive "Perfect Sleeper" ads, unabashadly sexy, the time. Thank you all for your comments--this was a fun topic to explore. xo

jodi said...

Hey again, Sorry for the typos. I type stupid fast, and sometimes forget to check. JR-Awwww, I was hoping you would get a nice long break and time to fish. Haven't they ever heard of teacher burnout? P.S. I ate some fresh spring salmon, caught this weekend. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Two Bad girls and One baaaaaad Boy
I could go on and on!