Monday, April 6, 2009

When the Lights go Down in the City.........


Whoo Hoo! I am back on home turf after my week in San Francisco. Just a quick overview if you haven't had the pleasure of a visit there.
I had a wonderful time and enjoyed as much as possible of what the city has to offer. Our government funded hotel was posh and very centrally located. We rode the cable cars to Fisherman's Wharf--however we did not do the cheeseball tourist thing and sing the Rice a Roni song. At Pier 39 we saw hundreds of sea lions sunning themselves on rafts in the water. Ate saltwater taffy till I got a stomach ache.
I always aspire to look like a local when visiting a new city, but the camera and ugly tennis shoes give it away. Me, who can run a 5k in heels, had to ditch 'em and resort to the dead giveaways to navigate those hills. Eww.w.w.w.w. It pains me.
Saw Alcatraz from shore cuz the waves were too much for me on the night of the cruise. I had a perfectly good view from my stool by the window visiting with some waiters and a bartender on a slow Thursday night. I loved Chinatown. Twice we trekked up that very steep hill to enjoy the smells and sights of area. Shopping there is a trip--a very cheap one! Actually purchased some real cool stuff.

Didn't have time to visit the Haight or Napa Valley, but that just means I've got to go back. I have also offered babysitting service if my friends ever want to get away. Hope they take me up on the offer!


And the food--ahhhhhh. Loved it. Just caught seafood and sushi. Fresh sourdough bread and local wine is a woman's dream dinner. And I totally enjoyed the indulgence.
I seem to be attracted to cities on the bay, like SFO and Boston, the Keys and even Michigan. The boats, views, and fresh seafood gets me every time. SFO really has that public transportation thing worked out. You would never need a car. Buses go everywhere for $1.50. BART transpo and air trains and cable cars, too.

I spent two afternoons visiting my friends and their darling daughters. Had a great time catching up and getting to know the children. Gary's sister, LeAnne was visiting also-- a very cool surprise. We had lunch and then Cosmos, as we toured the Castro. Pomegranate martinis are the whip, Babe. Thanks, Gary for your hospitality. It means so much to me. Your home is warm and lovely, and the children are so lucky to have found you and Dwayne. xo

The weather is very temperate--not too hot and not too cold. Sunglasses and sweaters are the norm. The flowers bloom most of the year. People seem very Eco-aware. The walking and maybe the fresh food choices made everyone (in general) look healthy.

Our hotel backed up into the notorious Tenderloin district. So, daily we were harassed by the local street people for food and money. We handed over our leftovers and many dollars too. I was told by a local that I had coffee with at an outside cafe two mornings, that I am an easy mark for the scammers. Sigh. Maybe I just like to share, I said.

So, if it interests you, and you can sit thru the long flight--by all means go. There is something for everyone, and I for one, can't wait to go back. And...of course I can't resist...... wait for it.....sing along with me now, "I Left my Heart, in San Francisco.......xoxo P.S. A heartfelt prayer of sympathy for my dear friend Jeannie, who lost her Dad after a brave struggle. Peace to you. xoxoxo OH! A special thank you to my sissy in law, Cheryl, for letting me tag along. As always, you are simply the BEST! Luv u. xoxo

10 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

Alcatraz! Why can't Michigan have one of those? Today I have MPRI (Michigan Prisoner Release Initiative) training; aka, "Hug a Thug". I hope you enjoyed our lovely spring snow upon your return.

the walking man said...

Lived in Berzerkley for a year way back when...Nice to see your finally catching up Jodi ;-}

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey beautiful,

I loved visiting SF when my friend Shawn (aka Bamm Bamm) lived there. My first (and only) honeymoon took place there as well -- so I can say something good came out of that marriage! It's so gorgeous and the fog is great. I hope you went to City Lights, the old Beatnik bookstore. If not, we'll go! And I'll do the tennis shoes as well -- those hills are evil! But I'm sure you looked beautiful and like a local despite any footware you chose. xox, Tiny

Cheryl said...

Hey Sissy, Had a great time with you too! I love San Francisco and I love my new tat too! Love ya!

Charles Gramlich said...

Sorry I missed it.

Gary G said...

Hey Jodi, it was SO GREAT to see you!!! Hopefully it won't be 12 years before we see each other again!!! Love ya...

Erik Donald France said...

Sounds like a heavenly good time. So cool! As for the shoes, no worries. They're also in Manhattan for those who are cool enough to walk the distance, to walk the walk. I do want to see Alcatraz, mostly because of the Indian takeover. My uncle who just died lived in SF in the 80s, had a great visit with him and fam then, and bought a shikibuton, a traveling futon, which came in handy while traveling for many years.

the walking man said...

Brooks in tennis shoes...oh yes white boaters please...take many pictures of that!

Mrs. Ivan said...

Glad to have you back in MI, just in time for us to stop by and hang out on a Great Friday Night. We had a blast and hope to see you all very soon. All our love...

jodi said...

J.R.-I hated my snowy return! WM-Catching up on what? Hey Tiny-No on the bookstore, yes on the white tourist fashion faux pas tennies that are necessary to do the evil hills. Cheryl-nice tatt. I am envious. Jealousy is so over. Charles-SFO will be there when you get around to it. Gary-the visits were the BEST!xxxx to the girls. WM-make fun of "Brooks" on your own time!! Eric-thanks for the futon FYI. I woulda never known that word. Mrs.Ivan-we had so much fun as usual, with you guys. CU for the shower! xo