Sunday, July 5, 2009

Songs of Freedom.....


Happy Independence Day everyone! I have spent the usual lazy, fun, up north at the beach house kind of holiday. Barely left the cottage (unless you count the booze cruise on the four wheeler!)which is fine with me. Had a big gang here for the festivities and the weather actually cooperated on Saturday. Nothing new or unusual to report. Had a large garter snake in the shed that scared the Bejesus out of us, but other than that it was business as usual. As long as he continues to keep the place mouse free--I say just leave 'em alone.

Pondering my Independence was the most serious thought I had in my head--aside from blended or on the rocks? If I get political here--well, it would just be kinda scary. Going at the idea from a personal slant is more my style.

Independence can be defined as freedom from dependence, control and determination from others.


While I THINK I am independent, while considering, I am not so sure I am --or really want to be. I take much more comfort in DEPENDING on smooth familiar routines and rituals. Counting on family and friends and depending on them is a safety net and support system that I would NEVER want to be without. I want them to depend on me for the same. Doesn't it seem that we basically just pinball off of each other absorbing what we want or need? My mood can be influenced by the people around me and I like to think that I have the ability to do the same for them. I need people and their differences to teach me things.

Control? I cannot think of a situation where I would want to be controlled. Respect and compromise in relationships can pretty much squelch that. Thank the good Lord. However, I love to control my time and what I choose to do with it. I abhor lateness and being kept waiting and make every effort not to do it to others. I like routine, but I try not to let it control me.

Determination of others is a cause and effect kind of deal. Others actions can determine ours-if we want or let it. I try very hard to not be responsible for what others think of me. Can't be bothered. Trying to live right is all we can do to ultimately control our own destiny and even that gets whomped up along the way. Too many things are just not up to us.

Our freedom to live, think, speak, express, believe, create, and love, give us the ability to choose how we let all of this effect us personally. The yogic statement of not being able to control situations, but rather how we can control how we handle them, sums it up.

So, in continuing with this 'prophetic' style, may I just say--enjoy your wonderful human ability to be free. They can never take that away from us. xoxo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Land of the free and home of the brave.--F.S. Key

the walking man said...

Sounds like the song is well sung in you Jodi.

Charles Gramlich said...

Much like you, I want to be in control of myself but do not seek to control anyone else.

Erik Donald France said...

Interdependence is groovy and most definitely, on the rocks or "neat."

JR's Thumbprints said...

"I try very hard to not be responsible for what others think of me."

Although I certainly agree with this statement, it isn't advisable to live by while working in a prison. Popularity, or the illusion of popularity, is the key to survival. If you're not part of the "in crowd," your rising star will be shot down in no time at all. I have witnessed the firing of many people, some of whom won large sums of money after settling their lawsuits. When asked if they want their job back, they say, "NO, Hell no!"

jodi said...

Anon-Right on. WM-thanks,doll. Charles-Seems to work,huh? Erik-YOU are groovy! and Cool. J.R.-utill I have to survive in a prison environment, I will maintain my stand. P.S. You NEED to get outta there....