Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sugar and Spice........


How about it? Took a cue from the "Walking Man" Mark, and attended Megan Abbott's book signing in Birmingham on Thursday night. Almost the first person I saw after purchasing her book and heading upstairs for the reading was him. I knew instantly and waited till Megan was done with her story and q. and a. session to approach him. Standing close by, was the beautiful, "Wandering Savant," who I also recognized right away. Mark hugged by warmly as if I was an old, trusted friend, and introduced me to his friend. (forgive me, I cannot remember her first name, altho I can recount her cool clothes clearly!) We proceeded to get to know one another, and I got to ask some questions regarding poetry--which has always been a mystery to me. Some hints from Mark promise to be of help. I HAD to have a pic. I pointed out that Michelle (Michelle's Spell) was gonna be jealous, but the humble Mark didn't think so! I couldn't hog all of his attention, but I do think we will be getting together sometime in the future--and he has volunteered to be the D.D.--always a plus!


After Borders I went into the Cupcake Station (also in B'ham) and just about cleaned 'em out on delicious, overpriced cupcakes to share with my gym buddies on Friday. (The dude sellin' 'em had the most beautiful head of spiral curls that I almost reached out to unspring one!)Seemed the perfect way to start off my birthday celebration. My Mom lives too far away to deliver to the class, so I made it happen myself. After a little protesting, my friends gave up and indulged. They were so yummy and I recommend them for whatever you are celebrating! Especially the carrot cake!


Friday night was perfect with dinner, drinks and diamonds for the lucky girl-ME! Makes gettin' older not seem so bad. Got wonderful calls and beautiful cards from family and friends-- thoughtful as ever. xo Then spent some time boating, (thanks bro in law Mark) and reading at the beach house. Megan's book, titled "Bury Me Deep" is the kind of book you just fall into. Her writing has been described as lush, and I couldn't agree more. After about title 35 pages, I can recommend it to anyone. Along with a cupcake would be good.....xoxo P.S. How 'bout our Tigers! Brandon Inge is THE Tiger. Congrats on the allstar pic, dude. Homerun Derby is Monday night. Go Tigers!xoxo Oh, sorry lovely Megan--I DID remember your name. Yay, Me! xo

11 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm jealous. especialy of the cupcake eating. ;0

rosegarden said...

happy birthday to you. Glad you had a wonderful birthday. Can't wait to see your new bling. Go Tigers!! Brandon is our Tiger!!

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day, sorry we missed you this weekend. I have something fun for you, see you in a few days!

:-) Kel

the walking man said...

The hug was better than a cupcake Charles.

lady grinning soul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lady grinning soul said...

aw you called me beautiful :P and thought my clothes were cool! that never happens!

my name is Michelle. i remembered your name because it is your handle, so don't feel too bad that all you could remember was Wandering Savant.

it was very nice to meet you :]

you and mark look so cute in that picture, although im not sure what your hand is doing to him..

Mona said...

Wow! That are two beautiful people together!

Belated Happy Birthday!

Erik Donald France said...

That's so COOL! Happy Birthday, too, of course . . .

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey gorgeous,

Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been sick and down for the count so I just saw this picture. LOVE it!

JR's Thumbprints said...

I sure wish I could've made it. Maybe next time. Hope you had a Happy B-Day.

jodi said...

Charles-Don't be green'en on the BDay Girl! rosegarden-YOU made it very special, friend. Kel-thanks, babe. CU soon! Mark-the pleasure was MINE, and I loved the book. Thanks for the recommendation. Michelle, You ARE beautiful. And very talented. I am enjoying your writing so much. I guess I musta got your name attached with Megan Abbotts or something in my excitement. And your right, my hand certainly DOES look suspect--but I must claim innocence! Welcome Mona, you are sweet. It was a great night. Check out Megan's book. I could not put it down! CU on your blog! Erik, Thanks! Old Chicks Rule! Wish you were there! Michelle- I celebrated mightily and you would have been proud...I see a get together/throw down in our future with the bearded, lothario as our personal chauffeur! xo JR-Thanks, and maybe next time? xoxoxo to all. Your support is everything to me.