Sunday, July 26, 2009

Things that make you go hmmm........





I think I got this idea from my blog friend, Charles, (RAZORED ZEN) when he did a post on favorite titles. Thanks, Charles, and please forgive me for my blatant copycatting--and remember that imitation is the highest form of flattery...

That said, I read a review about a movie that is out from Detroit producer, Sami Raimi, that is called, "Drag Me To Hell". The review was actually quite flattering and the title certainly grabs ones attention. I wonder if it is a plea or merely a suggestion? Kinda like when you have the flu or a whoppin' hangover and inevitably you mutter, "This must be hell. I'd have to die to feel any better." I swear I will never drink again--at least not until Thursday, or just later on today.

One of my all time favorite title comes from a book, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", (which I LOVED) and a movie (ummm, not as much) by the same name. What magic does that title conjure up? Darkness, maybe moonlight, floral beauty and the chance for possible danger. Very cool. Read that book, if you haven't yet. It rocks.

Last year I bought a new book off of the sale rack, simply because of it's title--something I rarely ever do. How could I resist a big, thick, hard (what did you think I was gonna say?) cover called "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs." Hysterically satirical, relevant, and point on, I nodded and laughed all the way thru it. Again, I recommend you check it out--for a goof!

"Sex and Candy" is a song by Marcy Playground that qualifies doubly as a cool song title and also a cool band name. And it made the cut for my ipod.

"Shit on a Shingle" gets the nod for the best name for an item on a menu. My Mom's menu anyways. Sometimes we would eat a concoction of creamed tuna on toast with peas. Usually during Fridays in Lent. We loved it and loved saying it. Behind Mom's back of course....
I've already posted in the past about favorite names, but the ballplayer named CoCo Crisp for the Red Sox. Or how about the crazy deal where George Foreman names all of his boys (5 or 6?) George Foreman. Narcissistic or merely simplistic. Beats the hell outta me!
Anything make you go hmmmmm? xo
PS. Kudos to our fabulous TIGERS. I hit the game against Seattle that turned into a real home run derby. Reminded me of Dane's little league games. But we won of course. Wil, once again I sent out my sympathies as ANOTHER Detroit team has to give you a little lesson. I hate to gloat, but, We ROCK!!!!! xoxo






8 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Awesome! All around fun time. Yeah, I like names and titles, too. Midnight's great, I agree, the book is better. Never read the dude's next book, though.

"Calling Sister Midnight" & Chimes at Midnight inspired me to write a short piece, "Coffee at Midnight." Ha! Journey to the end of the night is pretty good (the Celine book). In Search of Lost Time. And on and on. The Detroit Tigers sounds better than the Midland Great Lake Loons, certainly . . .

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool! "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" is a great title for sure. I remember in the 70s they had all kinds of goofy movie titles like "Surf Nazis must Die." There was something too entitled "Amazons in the Avocado Jungles of the moon" or something like that. I don't often think of funny titles but those rank up.

the walking man said...

Most everything makes me go hmmmmm..it may be my age or location but I see a lot of weird shit going on. Will the real Ordonez please stand up...err no sit down?

Anonymous said...

Why in the hell do I come over here for this abuse? And why is it that my 2 fav sports just happen to be the ones that Detroit are good at and they are in the same division as my teams? I'll give you your Wings for now, though we are coming up fast, finally. I will not bow to your Tigers though, still got a lot of ball left to play, I don't think they'll hold onto this lead.

Wil Harrison.com

Heff said...

Poor Wil !!!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Here's a cool band name: The Meat Puppets. Too bad Nirvanna stole their grunge.

rosegarden said...

nice shirts!! Maggs is still our boy even with short hair. Go Tigers!!

jodi said...

Erik, Just bought John B's second book and can't wait to get into it! Charles-those titles are CRAZY!Mark-I get the feeling that you have indeed, seen it all! Maggs rocks! Wil-it'll be okay. Don't forget about our Detroit Shock. Or are you one of those manly men who don't count women sports? Please say it isn't so! Hef, how sweet of you to console poor Wil! JR-Meat Puppets? That's just weird. Rose-Magglio's curls were HOT but I forgive him. Too bad he'll never know how much I care.....xo Tigerrrrrrrs! xoxo